So where's the coolant Leak?

Jun 1, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Lake City, MN
I have a 1988 Hunter 28.5 with a Yanmar 2GM20F engine. Incidentally, I'm in Minnesota, there is still a very hard crust on Lake Pepin!

Last September, the temp alarm went off as I was motoring in, so I shut down immediately (we were just cruising into the dock). After a short troubleshooting stint, I found the anti-freeze was low. I kept it full for the remainder of the season until pull out. I also took an automotive coolant pressure tester and found that the system would not hold pressure. I also checked the coolant input for any air bubbles (indicating a leak in the head gasket), no bubbles. I could not detect any external leaks, so I figured that it could well be in the heat exchanger round rubber gaskets into the cooling water. There is no anti-freeze in the oil. I changed the oil/filter last fall.

Fast forward to last week where I removed the board that covers the back side of the engine, to gain better access to the back of the engine (I still want to check the engine exhaust mixer). I removed the heat exchanger (pretty straight forward) and found that the round gaskets on each end of the exchanger were in very good condition. There may have been some small leaks on the other end gaskets (fresh water input/output) but this would only let fresh water bypass the coolant tubes, but would NOT leak to the coolant side!

Surprisingly, the tube in the heat exchanger are all very shiny on the inside where the fresh water flows through! There's some grit and grim on the coolant side of the tubes, but looking down the tubes there is no corroded tubes that I can detect.

I'm not sure where to go next.

I may try to do an initial cleaning of the exchanger and see if I can figure out a way to seal both ends and somehow use a balloon to see if there is a leak anywhere on the exchanger. I can do this here at home.

Similarly, I might try to re-install the exchanger end pieces (input and output) on the engine without the exchanger installed and seal up the hose inputs (single hose from input to output) and try to pressurize the coolant system from the coolant input (remove the cap).

I thought about the water heater, but there is no anti-freeze in the water heater (it's currently bypassed), and I'll probably remove it anyway. We don't really use it.

The trouble is, I can't think of anywhere else that there could be a leak, other than the head gasket and thermostat (I did purchase a new thermostat that I'll put in before the end of the job.

Would I dare use a coolant system leak sealer? I've used it successfully in the past on cars (long term). Seems like it would be worth a try as a last resort rather than having to remove the head!

Any other ideas on where to find the leak, or where else it could be?

Mike

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
How did you complete this "automotive coolant pressure tester and found that the system would not hold pressure." Are you not seeing antifreeze leaks anywhere? You can add a dye and use a black light to find external leaks. You can have your oil tested for AF.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
If you're not seeing the coolant anywhere then my first guess would be that it's escaping into the raw water through the heat exchanger. Even if it looks good there could still be a pinhole. Maybe bring the exchanger to a radiator shop for a leak test?

Mar 8, 2017
Shannon Pilot House 38 Los Angles
I had a single tube come loose and present a pin hole size opening at where it is soldered to the end of the tube stack. No way to see it by just looking. The shop floated solder across the entire stack end and solved the problem. I quickly replaced it and kept it for a spare.

Jun 1, 2016
I did get mine put back again, but I don’t have enough time on it to be able to tell if I did get it fixed.

What I did to test the tubes was to seal up the center section of the heat exchanger by wrapping tightly with tape and a tire valve to put in some air. I pressurized it with about 8 pounds of air pressure and dipped it in a bucket of water, no bubbles on the ends (some of my tape seams leaked a little). I did something similar with the engine without the heat exchanger installed. I made some temporary rubber gaskets for the heat exchanger caps and the thermostat. I also removed the top input hose and used a rubber cork to seal the hole. I ran the hose from the raw water input to the output (loop) and then using a small hose connected to the drain valve at the back of the heat exchanger, with a pressure meter and tire valve for input (took a bit to make sure the assembly didn’t leak). I pressurized the engine cooling system and saw that the pressure meter was not going down ( though it was Leaking VERY slowly). I decided it was ok.

Before re-assembling the system, I put in the coolant system cleaner, soaked for about an hour, occasionally turning the water pump by hand. I then drained and refilled with water about five times to clean out the system.

I have only had the boat out once so far, so I have not been able to tell if my leak is still there. I’m keeping an eye on it.

I have decided that IF it does leak (slowly, like before) I’ll use some Barr’s Stop Leak, or similar. I’ve used this sort of stuff before on an auto heater core which worked well, even for years.

Mike

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2016
Bottom line... it still leaked.

So, as I mentioned earlier, I decided to try the Bars Stop Leak. I put in perhaps a third of the contents of the bottle (it’s a small system) and ran the engine. Sealed it right up. I’ve used the boat quite a few times and the level has not gone down at all since.

Years ago I had a 79 mustang turbo that developed a leak in the heater core. Turns out you had to remove the whole dash to put in the new core (next year they put in a cutout to allow 2 screws on a removable plate to remove the core!). I used the same stuff and it never failed for me, as long as I owned the car.

Guess I’ll find out how long it will last in the Yanmar.

Mike