small leak~sabre 28

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

foggyidea

upon launching our Sabre last week we discovered a small leak. It is in between the stuffing box and the rudder post. I can feel a small trickle when i reach up beyond the stuffing box, and upon inspection the through hull at the rudder post is bone dry. I am unable to determine the exact source or reason of the leak. Any idea's? The leak itself causes the pump to run for about 10 sec's every 30 minutes for a total of about 1.4gal/hr. I am installing a back up pump and I am resisting hauling the boat for now. Are there any adhesives or any sort of application that can go on the hull of a boat, from the inside, that may stop this if it is a case of the fiberglass "weeping" or de-laminating? Again, there is no visible entry of the water and when I painted the bottom prior to launching there were now visible defects in the hull. Idea's are welcome, Please!! Don

Mar 28, 2007
- - newburyport,ma/Peaks Island, me
water weeping

check to see how your rudder stuffing box is attached. is there a sleeve glassed in the hull and the stuufing box attached? it could be that if this is the case the glass has delaminated from the sleeve and the water has found an entry point lower down and seperated some glass(freeze problem) lam around that area and the water has now found a way out but not at the rudder area.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
I would suspect either stuffing box

the one for the rudder and the one for the shaft are likely culprits. In fact a boat with slightly worn flax in the stuffing gland will let some water through when first launched. When the flax packing gets saturated enough it may expand and stop leaking so much. I would recommend re-packing the prop stuffing box anyway to see if this helps stem the leak. If it is not the stuffing box then there could be a leak in the shaft log which is a much bigger project to replace. You say that the hull outside this area looked fine when you re-painted so it is unlikely that there is a crack in the hull causing this leak. But this area can bear some torque so it is possible you have some hairline crack(s) that are causing the leak. If this is the case I would not recommend trying to seal it from the inside as you will just be sealing moisture into the hull's fiberglass which will weaken it over time causing a potentially more dangerous situation. In this case you need to haul out and sand (fair) down the area and barrier coat it. As for getting a backup pump that is your call and your conscience. Bilge pumps hide problems as long as your battery bank lasts. My money would be on finding the source of the leak and repairing that before getting a backup bilge pump. Good luck.

G

Grant Adkins

Slow Leaking

Have you considered the two thru-hulls that are between the rudder post and the stuffing box. These are the drainage ports for the cockpit and are accessible..or at least visible through the lazerete area.

G

thanks for the input

Thanks for the suggestions. The Sabre28 (Meander) has been in the water for 10 days now without an increase or decrease in the amount of water coming in. I will re-inspect the cockpit drains but since they are easily accessable Ihave checked them. The rudder post comment sounds like a possibility so that will also be re-checked. The tight quarters under the lazarette make everything much more difficult but I expect it will be worth while. Any other comments and suggestions are welcome, thanks again. Don

Status
Not open for further replies.