Slipping halyard

jbrock

Jul 12, 2009
Macgregor 25 Regent Point Marina, Virginia
Hi everyone. I recently bought new halyards for my Mac 25. The main halyard stays in place fine but the jib halyard slips quite a bit when using a jam cleat to secure it—same system as main halyard and what I’ve always used. Is it just a function of new rope? Any ideas? As an aside, what do you do with excess halyard once the sail is up? I don’t bring the lines aft (yet).

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Without knowing the line diameter and jam cleat sizes, we are guessing. My guess is either wrong size rope/cleat, weak jam spring or worn jam teeth. Without seeing the parts, it’s just a WAG.

jbrock

Jul 12, 2009
Of course. It’s a Samson XLS3 5/16” halyard. That’s what’s recommended as a replacement. It’s the same size as the new main halyard, which doesn’t slip. I may have misspoken about the jam cleat. It’s technically a self-jamming horn cleat like this:
1571162176297.jpeg

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@jbrock i have seen and used those cleats. They are not my first choice. One - orientation. The jam portion for a halyard (that would be the end to the right in the picture) needs to be facing down. It will help to raise the sail. Once the halyard raises the sail to the proper height the halyard is tied off with a standard figure 8 cleat knot.
My dislike is centered around the jam part. A halyard is intended to be quickly released when needed. The jam can jam the line when under pressure. This may endanger the crew or boat in an emergency.
Instruct the crew about this risk and practice loosening the halyard and pulling down hard with the halyard to release the jam at the marina when it is calm. That way in the event you are in high winds and working the halyard the training will kick in when needed.
Good luck.

jbrock

Jul 12, 2009
@jbrock i have seen and used those cleats. They are not my first choice. One - orientation. The jam portion for a halyard (that would be the end to the right in the picture) needs to be facing down. It will help to raise the sail. Once the halyard raises the sail to the proper height the halyard is tied off with a standard figure 8 cleat knot.
My dislike is centered around the jam part. A halyard is intended to be quickly released when needed. The jam can jam the line when under pressure. This may endanger the crew or boat in an emergency.
Instruct the crew about this risk and practice loosening the halyard and pulling down hard with the halyard to release the jam at the marina when it is calm. That way in the event you are in high winds and working the halyard the training will kick in when needed.
Good luck.
Thanks. Very helpful.