Size and Weight of 150% Genoa on 26S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 2010
Macgregor 26S, "Myuna" Brisbane, Australia
I am trying to sort out my headsails. The boat came fitted with what appears to be the original MacGregor Main and standard MacGregor Jib on a CDI FF2 (the clew sits quite high so it looks like a storm jib, but according to official MacGrgeor diagrams I have seen that seems to be classed as the 'jib').

In addition it came with a 2001 made Doyle Main and a 2001 made Doyle 150% Genoa.

Currently the New Doyle Main and old MaGregor Jib are fitted and they are all I have used. I am trying to see how the newer Genoa goes but have a few question first.

The Genoa has a foot length matching the 'official' foot length but the Luff and the Leech are about 300mm shorter than the 'official' measurments. I am assuming that is becuase the official measurments relate to a hanked on Genoa, whereas mine has the CDI FF2 and is thus slightly shorter.

The Genoa cloth weight is my main concern - it looks and feels very heavy to me. I have the original paperwork from the owner who had the new Genoa and Main constructed in 2001. The owners fax, for what appears to be the order, states 4.9oz Dacron for the Genoa but the invoice from Doyle says 5.9oz Dacron. The current Doyle site recommends 4.5oz Dacron and the old original MacGrgeor spec was 3.8oz Dacron.The Genoa seems very heavy to handle in overall weight and weighs 5.1kg without sail bag, shackels or sheets. It does have sunbrella protection strips and a foam luff.

I can't understand why one would have such heavy cloth for a 150% Genoa as when it is totally unfurled for running or reaching in light winds I would have thought the lightest cloth possible would be an advantage - well at least for running. If furled in a long way under very heavy winds I would have thought the heavier weight cloth would create undesirable bulk at the luff when attempting to point high - although I realise the furler itself does not help when trying to do so.

The Genoa looks like it has barely been used, so I am wondering if I have a problem with using this sail.

Does anyone else use such a heavy 150% Genoa and what is the general thought about the practically of what I have?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2009
MacGregor 26X Lake Lanier Georgia
I am trying to sort out my headsails. The boat came fitted with what appears to be the original MacGregor Main and standard MacGregor Jib on a CDI FF2 (the clew sits quite high so it looks like a storm jib, but according to official MacGrgeor diagrams I have seen that seems to be classed as the 'jib').

In addition it came with a 2001 made Doyle Main and a 2001 made Doyle 150% Genoa.

Currently the New Doyle Main and old MaGregor Jib are fitted and they are all I have used. I am trying to see how the newer Genoa goes but have a few question first.

The Genoa has a foot length matching the 'official' foot length but the Luff and the Leech are about 300mm shorter than the 'official' measurments. I am assuming that is becuase the official measurments relate to a hanked on Genoa, whereas mine has the CDI FF2 and is thus slightly shorter.

The Genoa cloth weight is my main concern - it looks and feels very heavy to me. I have the original paperwork from the owner who had the new Genoa and Main constructed in 2001. The owners fax, for what appears to be the order, states 4.9oz Dacron for the Genoa but the invoice from Doyle says 5.9oz Dacron. The current Doyle site recommends 4.5oz Dacron and the old original MacGrgeor spec was 3.8oz Dacron.The Genoa seems very heavy to handle in overall weight and weighs 5.1kg without sail bag, shackels or sheets. It does have sunbrella protection strips and a foam luff.

I can't understand why one would have such heavy cloth for a 150% Genoa as when it is totally unfurled for running or reaching in light winds I would have thought the lightest cloth possible would be an advantage - well at least for running. If furled in a long way under very heavy winds I would have thought the heavier weight cloth would create undesirable bulk at the luff when attempting to point high - although I realise the furler itself does not help when trying to do so.

The Genoa looks like it has barely been used, so I am wondering if I have a problem with using this sail.

Does anyone else use such a heavy 150% Genoa and what is the general thought about the practically of what I have?
I have a 150 Genoa on my 2000 MacGregor 26x. It was a replacement for one that got torn up in heavy winds. I believe the weight is around 5oz. The one I ordered from Doyle was for off shore cruising and I have never regretted the decision. Mine also has the Sunbrella protection strip. Don't let the weight bother you. In heavier winds it's fine and in light winds nobody goes fast.

Oct 21, 2010
I have a 150 Genoa on my 2000 MacGregor 26x. It was a replacement for one that got torn up in heavy winds. I believe the weight is around 5oz. The one I ordered from Doyle was for off shore cruising and I have never regretted the decision. Mine also has the Sunbrella protection strip. Don't let the weight bother you. In heavier winds it's fine and in light winds nobody goes fast.
Thanks for the feedback. Do you use that on a CDI or any other type of furler and if so do you have any problem pointing with the larger bulk of sail around the forestay when partially furled?

I don't yet have a spinnaker so it would be nice to be able to pole the genoa out and use it to pick up some more breeze down wind - the small headsail I currently use does not pick up much breeze at all down wind. When the piggybank gets a bit fatter I will probably add an assymetrical spinnaker to the system.

Jan 22, 2009
MacGregor 26X Lake Lanier Georgia
I have a CDI furler. As to your pointing question I haven't really noticed a major difference. It probably would depend on which side the wind is hitting the sail. Whether the rolled up side of Genoa is exposed to the wind or the other flatter side.

One thing I've noticed is that my boat will not steer well without the Genoa partially unfurled. Sailing with just the main my boat lacks steering control.

As to downwind you might consider tying a line from the end of the boom to a cleat on the bow of the boat. This will prevent gybing which can be dangerous. What I do with the Genoa is tie the line to the cleat closest to the steering wheel and let it in and out manually to gain has much power as possible. There is very little pressure on the line so it is easy. I usually "butterfly" the sails so that the main is not blocking the Genoa.

Hope some of this helps.

Oct 21, 2010
Thanks for that feedback. I did get some feedback yesterday from Judy, who I think reps for Hyde Sails in CA, on the Trailer Sailor Forum. She said the 150 dacron genoa needs to be about 6oz material otherwise there is a good chance of stretching the foot and luff when partial furled. She also mentioned the idea of having some stress patches put along the foot and luff for that partially furled situation - I might look into that I think.

I can see what you mean about the pointing ability related to the tack you are on - I am probably worrying too much about all of that. Overall I am now feeling more confortable with the arrangement, but it is still a mystery as to why the POs did not use the 150 genoa - guess I may never know.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.