Single or double axle trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2008
Advice? Experience? I'm getting nervous contemplating a long haul with my Sirius 21 aboard a single axle Shoreland'r. A blow-out (even a flat) would be near catastrophic, no? Anyone out there using a two axle trailer? Or are my nerves overactive?

rwb

Apr 23, 2009
2 Sirius21 North Bay
Hi, to eleviate your fears of towing your Sirius21 on a single axle trailer, a few things to ensure are in "excellent condition".
*Tires ensure they are in good shape, of the proper load rating and are properly inflated
* inspect the trailer wheel bearings for proper lubrication and damage
*not sure what tow vehicle you will use, but ensure it's braking system is capable to stop the 2000 lb + weight of the boat.
* ensure the boat is properly aligned on the trailer. We had ours tilted a bit (not aligned)on the trailer and it induced a lot of boat sway.

With proper inspection and service of the trailer and tow vehicle and keeping your speed within limits you will have no problem with your tow. There are a lot of Sirius owners with single axle trailers. Something I wish I had was trailer brakes, maybe one day. Have a safe trip....Bob

Apr 12, 2007
Sirius 21 Barrie ON
All of what Bob says is true.
The Sirius doesn't weigh that much compared to some other trailer sailors. Double axle means double the maintenance to the tires and running gear too!!
You'll be fine with a single axle.
I'm not without trailer failure. Here's a picture of one of my tires during the road trip home from Lake Huron's North Channel. I started feeling this "out of balance" shudder while driving along. The tread started peeling off, but the tire didn't blow! My sons and I did a Nascar pit crew job of swapping out the old tire with the spare, and we were back on the road in about 15-20 minutes! Needless to say, I've have new rubber all around:redface:

Eric

Attachments

Apr 22, 2009
Sirius 21 Binghamton, NY
A double axle trailer is twice the maintenance. You would be better off maintaining a single axle trailer twice as often! Spend the extra money getting the single axle in shape or on trailer brakes.

A double axle blowout may not be as 'catastrophic' at highway speeds, but you still have to stop and fix it. I'm no pro, but I'd spend the extra money keeping my single axle at 100%.

May 27, 2009
2 21 Kennisis
Single axel. The previous owner of my boat towed it to Florida from Toronto every year behind a Camry with no problem. My 17 ft bowrider is heavier than the Sirius. They just look bigger in the rear view.
Bearings are as big an issue as the tires. I have bearing buddies on all my trailers - topped up before they go in the water.

Echo

May 30, 2009
2 22 Saranac Lake
trailered ours recently...

We recently purchased one that was towed on one axle about 12 hours. It did fine. One suggestion is to lower the centerboard until it rests on the trailer as it takes some weight off the hull. Enjoy your trip!

Sep 25, 2008
Grateful to all who advised re single vs. double axle to carry a Sirius 21. Not only intelligence but unanimity! Go 'single' and put the extra money and care into keeping single axle in top shape.

S

ssanford8@yahoo.com

trailer

Advice? Experience? I'm getting nervous contemplating a long haul with my Sirius 21 aboard a single axle Shoreland'r. A blow-out (even a flat) would be near catastrophic, no? Anyone out there using a two axle trailer? Or are my nerves overactive?
I just trailer Sirius 950 miles from Pa fo Fla. Single axle, with new bearings, tires, unloaded, with 160 lb tounge. Trailered it behind 07 Dodge Caravan with tow package of 3000 lbs. It handled great at 60 to 75 mph. Only problem was going up hills in west Va.
SS

Status
Not open for further replies.