Single hand Setup

Sep 4, 2016
Macgregor 26s Rankin
Downloading the book to read . Thanks to everybody for taking the time to help me out with all the stuff ya'll gave me to think about in setting things up. Yeah 10 more things to the list..

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It is good to get ideas but before you start making changes go ahead and sail the boat and find out what your needs are and what would work for you.

Sep 4, 2016
Macgregor 26s Rankin
It is good to get ideas but before you start making changes go ahead and sail the boat and find out what your needs are and what would work for you.
Exactly the plan. But now I know what i didn't before. And can really observe and figure out what options will definitely work for me.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I spent six hours single handing my H31 on an incredibly perfect day on Galveston Bay and I thought about this thread. The thing I did that helps me the most when single handing is making sure that I can reach both traveler lines and the main sheet from my steering position behind the wheel.

Nov 29, 2012
Now, I've single handed even a 38' Yawl in my more stupid younger days. Took it all over LA and LB Harbors and out towards Catalina. Had great fun. But, now that I've matured a little, it would be heck of a lot more fun to find one or two folks who would volunteer to crew and bring some beer. In my case, bring a lot of Scotch and Soda. It's safer to have a crew on board, and the companionship is enjoyable. Heck even find an attractive Admiral, or two.

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
With the Mac, a tiller tamer can't really get the right angle. I have one and don't like it. A line tied to the cleats with a cleat on the bottom of the tiller works fine as someone mentioned. An autopilot is a must. Lazy jacks, because you can't be spending all that time forward with any wind trying to get the sails down. Provided you brought the halyards back to the cockpit. Sailing single handed isn't where I struggle, it raising and lowering sails single handed at the beginning and end of a sail.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
...Sailing single handed isn't where I struggle, it raising and lowering sails single handed at the beginning and end of a sail.
The autopilot makes that a fairly easy thing to deal with. Run into the wind and have at it ;),

Sumner
==================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Standing in front of the mast on the Mac, and moving one step to port or stb can alter the trim enough to compensate for the tiller being lashed while the sail is hoisted or dropped. Of course, when hoisting, once it gets far enough to either side this trick won't work.