Simple Reef Hook

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Saw a couple of recent discussions on reefing and found myself lacking in that mechanical arena as well. Looked at a lot of previous threads and contemplated even extending the 1/4 pin on the slide to pick up the hook but decided simple is just that. Of course I had to snap off a screw head in the process and make it more difficult than it should be-- but I also tapped the gooseneck with 1/4 -28 and solved that potential permanently.

Would prefer the hook on starboard with the reef point outhauls-- tack pin will interfere with the reef hook aligned vertical, but I'll play with it from here and see what
sticks.

IMG_3533.JPG

IMG_3532.JPG

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
Nice. I always wondered how others did it, since the manual really doesn't go into too much detail.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Typical -- 100 degrees and no wind, but on the water is cooler than the parking lot. Decided I like the reef hook on the port side-- aligns well with my main halyard and avoids the interference with the gooseneck tack pin. The only oddity is that my reefing outhauls exist starboard-- so no matter what I do at the moment I'll have to work both sides of the mast.

IMG_3561.JPG

I left the tack hook on the starboard side just to play with both-- didn't end up using it, but this angle does show that having the attachment point a bit farther aft than the original tack pin is not too bad. I didn't notice any stress on that first slug at all.

IMG_3560.JPG

IMG_3563.JPG

will have to play around with the second outhaul and a few minor housekeeping issues-- but I think it's a keeper. I went out rigged with both, may leave them both in until I get some real sailing in against a reef, but both would work:

IMG_3543.JPG

Attachments

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
The bent bolt used to hold the mainsail tack in place is also the reefing hook. Your last photo looks like this bolt has been overly tighten to a point in which it now faces towards the stern. My 1987 bolt still faces straight down.