Similar site under "attack"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Just a heads-up. A nearby (well, figuratively speaking) site is under some sort of "DOS" attack by Google yesterday and today so far. While "DOS" may not be the technically correct term, the result is about the same.

All attempts to get thru to the forums at Sailnet are met with a Warning screen about some sort of malware.... and when you click on that screen for information you get a Google-authored weasel-worded statement that nothing is really wrong.

Posting replies is almost impossible at this point.
Google seems to have no effective way to address this directly thru their site, referring all inquiries to an FAQ.
If the SBO site comes under the same attack, at least do not be too amazed.
Thanks for listening.
Regards
Loren
(my "day job" : forum moderator at ericsonyachts.org)

Attachments

MrUnix

Mar 24, 2010
Hunter 23 Gainesville, FL
This isn't an attack by google, but a heads up that the site may have been compromised and contains malware. Read the warning:

Of the 445 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 8 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2010-09-08, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2010-09-08.

Malicious software includes 8 exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 1 new process(es) on the target machine.
If you are running windows, you may wish to stay well away from sailnet until it gets cleaned up.

Cheers,
Brad

Oct 26, 2005
Oday 28 Detroit/Grosse Pointe Park (O'Day 192, O'Day 28)
It's not an 'attack' by Google, it's a warning that there's malicious code somewhere on the site, probably from a bad ad banner, which SailNet doesn't control, and is hosted on a third-party site. You could always use Internet Explorer, rather than Firefox, which doesn't check for malicious code. Just make sure your antivirus and Java and Flash are up to date.

K

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
The malicious code on SN comes from one of the pop up ads they have been running. They are working on it but if using Firefox you will have issues. Of course IE does not even pick it up, which is not a big surprise, and one reason I continue to use Firefox.

The fact that SN has added pop up advertising has been a HUGE detriment to the site. It has bogged down the speed and there have been MANY complaints by forum members about SLOW speed. They disabled the ads this am for a period of time and guess what, it was fast again. It's pretty sad that SN has to sell ad space to keep the forum running. I hope they survive cause it has been a decent venue for sailors..

The admins over there really need to start listening to their constituents!!!

jimmyb

Feb 12, 2010
Precison 165 NA
"It's pretty sad that SN has to sell ad space to keep the forum running."

which is why we should be thankful for places of information exchange like this sight. SO easy to take for granted until its gone. THANK YOU Maine sail and to all who offer this service free of charge and who do such a wonderful job of keeping the help getting to those who need it like myself.

God Bless, jimmyb

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I agree .. HEAR HEAR !!!! for Brian, Mainesail, Phil Herring !! and the other guys who keep the forum going.. Many Thanks, Guys..

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Pop Ups - Yuk!

The malicious code on SN comes from one of the pop up ads they have been running. They are working on it but if using Firefox you will have issues. Of course IE does not even pick it up, which is not a big surprise, and one reason I continue to use Firefox.

The fact that SN has added pop up advertising has been a HUGE detriment to the site. It has bogged down the speed and there have been MANY complaints by forum members about SLOW speed. They disabled the ads this am for a period of time and guess what, it was fast again. It's pretty sad that SN has to sell ad space to keep the forum running. I hope they survive cause it has been a decent venue for sailors..

The admins over there really need to start listening to their constituents!!!
I am running the newest version of Safari, and would like to avoid the hassle of running multiple browsers.
Interesting info about the pop up ad issue. I do hate pop ups.

Perhaps a better alternative would be for the SN forums to be user-supported. That's how we fund the Ericson owners site. A short "fund drive" each fall seems to bring in adequate money from the site users.

Regards,
L

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
This begs the question someone might be able to answer - how many sailing/boating forums are there?
I know of a few and always wondered why we need so many competing sites. Perhaps this is not a bad thing to happen as it seems SN is the most commercial of them all.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I agree .. HEAR HEAR !!!! for Brian, Mainesail, Phil Herring !! and the other guys who keep the forum going.. Many Thanks, Guys..

would that make me "someguy" ;)

oh, and it's all on Phil's dime.... we're just here for the fun. :D

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
This begs the question someone might be able to answer - how many sailing/boating forums are there?
I know of a few and always wondered why we need so many competing sites. Perhaps this is not a bad thing to happen as it seems SN is the most commercial of them all.

All of the forums have a feeling all to their own. I frequent a couple of others, but spend most time here. The personalities here are closest to my own, therefore feel most at home here, and on one other site. Sailnet, Cruisers, Anarchy etc. all have their own personalities, people will frequent the ones their most comfortable in.

I don't think of it as a competition.... lots of room for different sites.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Glad I found the answers here to the SN issue. I was going to contact them thinking.....Gee.....maybe I'm the only guy on there using Google chrome. When I tried via Firefox I got on, but have started with chrome lately.

The mods and admins here ROCK!! I get such great advice and learn plenty reading posts. Hats off to you!

Brad

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
What malware

My linux box just ignored it. Seems that linux has this weird little feature called file locking. If you ain't "root" you can't save or run ANY file. the only exception is in the home directory which (in a proper setup) should not contine any executables.
Just sucks up the malware and ignores it.:)
AND
its free.:dance:
I use IceWeasel which is far supperior to FireFox :D

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Pop up blocking anyone? I had it turned on in IE, yes IE and had no issues at all with SN the last few days. Even switching to Firefox showed no issues......

Status
Not open for further replies.