Signs of a worn out main sail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2007
Seidelmann S25 Greenville SC
This is likely a dumb question... but here goes. What signs will tell me when a main sail is truly worn out? The Main Sail I use now came with the boat and I have sailed it for two seasons. It's old and I've never just worn a sail out before. Please educate me on what to look for. THANK YOU!!

Jul 10, 2006
- - Jax,Fla
Main Sail 101

TomCat; There is no such thing as a dumb question......All sail cloth [Dacron] is impregnated with resin, hence that stiff, crisp feeling when they are new.Over time[years] the resin breaks down due to UV rays,handling by folding, and normal use.Once the cloth becomes softened the shape of the sail and its ability to hold the original shape is lost(ie.-resist stretching).At this point it is still good, but for the racer less than optimal.To tell if the cloth is at the point of rotten try to push your finger thru the cloth.IF it is totally rotten you will tear it.If the cloth resists tearing you may be able to get many more seasons use out of them.Make sure you put a sail cover on the main when you are done sailing as UV rays will destroy the cloth faster than anything. How do I know this?? I was part owner of the UK/Crown Off Shore Sail Loft here in Jacksonville, Florida in the 80's. It would not hurt to take[send] the main into your local sailmaker[Charleston?] there in SC and have him go over it.Resewing of all the broad seams will help to give you some added seasons as well.The Dacron thread breaks down over time too and seams or luff tape can open up in heavy air with no warning.One of the worst things to do to a sail is let it flog, or snap back and forth in heavy air.This is very fatigueing to the cloth .I hope this has answered your question? Cheers- CaptHawk S34/RogueWave

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Here is a link

to how Bacons Sails in Annapolis evaluates sails. http://www.baconsails.com/pokefaq.html

Sep 1, 2005
- - Annapolis
Sail care

My sails are original on my 1983 30T and I sent the main to Sail Care (www.sailcare.com) and I should be getting it back in a week or so. I'm hoping their reconditioning will give it a few more years. We'll see... chrisferro

P

peter

Sail Shape

one practical measure: Go out in a pretty good breeze, just short of where you'd think about reefing. Adjust the controls to flatten it. If it just looks too full then its nearly useless, but you might get away with them on lighter days. If you've adjusted tehm as much as you can but can't get it flat enough & instead, get a tight triangle with a pregnant belly, they they are toast!

Status
Not open for further replies.