Sheet Winches 1968 31' Seafarer 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendp

Jun 24, 2013
Seafarer 31' Seafarer 31 Barlows Boat Yard, Pocasset
My son recently bought one of these and is fixing it up in preparation for launching it.

He would like information about the bronze sheet winches so that he knows what to do to service them. I saw a photo for a listing of a 1968 31' Seafarer 31 and could tell that the winches on that boat were the same. So I am assuming that this was the winch installed by Seafarer when it manufactured these vessels.

I would very much appreciate hearing from someone who can help me with information about the winches. They are presently operating, but he wants to be able to keep them operating.

Thanks in advance.

Ken De Pree

Dec 25, 2008
Catalina 34 St. Simons Island
My son recently bought one of these and is fixing it up in preparation for launching it.

He would like information about the bronze sheet winches so that he knows what to do to service them. I saw a photo for a listing of a 1968 31' Seafarer 31 and could tell that the winches on that boat were the same. So I am assuming that this was the winch installed by Seafarer when it manufactured these vessels.

I would very much appreciate hearing from someone who can help me with information about the winches. They are presently operating, but he wants to be able to keep them operating.

Thanks in advance.

Ken De Pree
Ken,

Seafarer used Barlow and Barient winches to my knowledge. At least I have both on my 1974 Seafarer 29. They were Australian manufacturers and have been out of business for decades. There are no spare parts to be found other than buying used winches on eBay. I've actually had quite a bit of success doing this.

Assuming your winches are working, just follow standard maintenance practice for cleaning and lubing. I have some original Barient and Barlow manuals saved as pdf files and will gladly email them if they match your winches. What models do you have?

It's also advisable to purchase Sunbrella covers to keep the winches protected from the elements when not in use. Here's a link to West Marine's Advisor on servicing winches.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/WestAdvisorView?
langId=-1&storeId=11151&catalogId=10001&page=Servicing-Your-Winches#.Uclupvnvim4

James
Seafarer 29 sv ROMA

kendp

Jun 24, 2013
James, thanks. I will be going to the boat at end of week and will take some photos. Perhaps looking at them will enable you to see if they look like either of yours. If there iw a match, I would very much like to have the pdf file.

kendp

Jun 24, 2013
James, does this sound familiar.

The winches I'm asking about have 2 large slotted screws that I think must be removed to service. There is also a small slotted screw that appears to be for an oil hole. The hole is about right for the tip of the tube on a can of 3 in 1 oil.

Dec 25, 2008
James, does this sound familiar.

The winches I'm asking about have 2 large slotted screws that I think must be removed to service. There is also a small slotted screw that appears to be for an oil hole. The hole is about right for the tip of the tube on a can of 3 in 1 oil.
None of the Barient, Barlow, or Lewmar winches I own have a slotted screw for disassemble. The good thing is that most winches have their name and size clearly stamped on the top. With that info you can google the service manuals, even if the companies are out of business.

Is the Seafarer 31 you purchased the one that was listed on eBay last week?

James

kendp

Jun 24, 2013
I took a close look at the sheet winches. They are South Coast 5. I missed that before. South Coast hard to see but it is etched into top of the winches. So i need to find someone familiar with them.

The halyard winches are Barlow 15. I'd appreciate if you sent me the Barlow pdf.
kendp@fastmail.fm

If anyone has or has had South Coast winches, please let me know. I'm looking for information on maintaining them.

Dec 25, 2008
I took a close look at the sheet winches. They are South Coast 5. I missed that before. South Coast hard to see but it is etched into top of the winches. So i need to find someone familiar with them.

The halyard winches are Barlow 15. I'd appreciate if you sent me the Barlow pdf.
kendp@fastmail.fm

If anyone has or has had South Coast winches, please let me know. I'm looking for information on maintaining them.
Here's the link to the Winch Service Manuals for Barient, Barlow, and Lewmar. Just scroll down to the Barlow to download the manual.

http://l-36.com/winches.php

I have Barlow 14 winches for my halyards. A couple weeks ago I purchased a Barlow 15 on eBay for $35. It is in perfect working order and the same physical size as the Barlow 14. I think the Barlow 14 was made for wire/rope halyards and the Barlow 15 was made for rope halyards. The drum on the Barlow 14 is seems to have a soft plastic or rubber coating on it so it grips the wire better.

FYI, it's a breeze to disassemble. Use an Allen wrench to back out the Allen bolt. The Barlow 15 is a single speed winch so there are few moving parts. Just make sure you don't drop a Pawl or Spring. They cannot be replaced.

South Coast is also out of business. An internet search comes up with a company called Rig-Rite that may have some info.

http://www.rigrite.com/Hardware/Winches/South_Coast_Winches.html

I found a couple for sale on eBay and see what you're talking about pertaining to the huge slotted bolt. Those things are antiques. I'd be surprised if they are OEM from Seafarer. Most likely someone changed the original winches to these. As long as they work, I guess they will do fine. I had some similar to this on a 1968 Piver Trimaran. As far as maintaining them, I think basic care of winches is fairly generic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-South-Coast-Winchs-/280932361626

James

kendp

Jun 24, 2013
Mine are nothing like the ones in the photo Mine are more like the Merriman winches I have seen photos of. The winch handle goes on the square post on top of the winch. I took some photos today. I'll process them and post them so you can see.

kendp

Jun 24, 2013
Need Information About South Coast 5

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has or has add this winch. I'm looking for info on dis-assembly and maintenance.

Attachments

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Congrats on a great boat!
I saw your thread and just wanted to share a great tip I read a while back- if you dissasemble the winches in place, cut a hole the same diameter as the base of the winch in the center of a short wide box like a beer flat and place over the winch to catch parts that want to escape.

Dec 25, 2008
Wonderful. Thanks!
I think the opportunity to purchase 2 replacement winches & a spare winch handle for $120 is a steal. Sooner or later some part is going to break in an old winch and the only option will be having a spare or trying to mill the part from scratch.

I've recently purchased 6 (total) Barient, Barlow & Lewmar winches on eBay and I have less than $200 in them. And I don't even need the Lewmar 22 winches, they were just too good of a deal to pass on.

I plan to remove and alternate the winches each season so I can bring them home to disassemble, clean, and service. I do like the suggestion in a previous post about cutting a hole in a box and sitting over the winch when it's removed. I can just imagine a pawl or spring jumping overboard during the removal process.

kendp

Jun 24, 2013
Congrats on a great boat!
I saw your thread and just wanted to share a great tip I read a while back- if you dissasemble the winches in place, cut a hole the same diameter as the base of the winch in the center of a short wide box like a beer flat and place over the winch to catch parts that want to escape.
Great idea, thanks for passing it on

kendp

Jun 24, 2013
I think the opportunity to purchase 2 replacement winches & a spare winch handle for $120 is a steal. Sooner or later some part is going to break in an old winch and the only option will be having a spare or trying to mill the part from scratch.
Thought you'd like to know I got the two functioning winches and 1 ratchet winch handle for $85

Dec 25, 2008
Thought you'd like to know I got the two functioning winches and 1 ratchet winch handle for $85
Awesome! That was a steal. I actually bought 2 Barient 22 winches on eBay yesterday for $125 including shipping. Even though I had already purchased 2 Barient 16 winches as back ups and spare parts, this will give me the option of a 2-speed winch if I decide to change them out. There are some great deals on eBay on older winches.

kendp

Jun 24, 2013
Sounds like you are all set for winches. At the price of new winches, you can go through a lot of old winches if you buy buy them at such good prices.

A question about handles. Have you found that the same handles work on both Barlow and Barient winches. Do the handles have to be for Barlow or Barrient, or can you use other makes as long as they are designed to go in a socket and not like the old South Coast/Merriman/WC that designed for a specific winch?

Dec 25, 2008
Sounds like you are all set for winches. At the price of new winches, you can go through a lot of old winches if you buy buy them at such good prices.

A question about handles. Have you found that the same handles work on both Barlow and Barient winches. Do the handles have to be for Barlow or Barrient, or can you use other makes as long as they are designed to go in a socket and not like the old South Coast/Merriman/WC that designed for a specific winch?
The winch handles on the Barlow, Barient, & Lewmar are generic. In your case with the South coast that appears to be a proprietary handle so I think you got an awesome deal for 2 winches and a handle.

I think we would all like to go to self-tailing winches, but I just can justify the cost. There's an adapter you can fit on the top of most non self-tailing winches to make them self-tailing, but they have mixed reviews. I may try them at some point.

For now I'm well pleased with my existing and spare inventory of winches. I need 1 more Barlow/Barient 14 or 15 for my mast and I'm done buying unless I see a real steal on eBay. In which case I'll make the purchase, clean and lube the winch/winches and resell them on eBay.

kendp

Jun 24, 2013
2 Barlow 15 winches on mast so looking for one spare handle for them. Thought I had one this morning but lost in last 3 seconds on eBay.

Glad to know B-B-L handles are generic

Status
Not open for further replies.