Shaft stuck in transmission coupling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2010
Hunter 466 Mystic
Trying to install a shaft seal. I have the coupling un-bolted from the transmission but cannot get the shaft out of the flange. I have loosened the shaft key but can't get the flange to budge off the shaft. Anyone have a experience with this?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Trying to install a shaft seal. I have the coupling un-bolted from the transmission but cannot get the shaft out of the flange. I have loosened the shaft key but can't get the flange to budge off the shaft. Anyone have a experience with this?
i think i saw a segment on this by Mailsail...the best i can remember you have to use a two or three jaw bearing puller to get it off as it is a press fit...i also think i saw where that may not work if it has grown to the shaft....i do know when i took mine off i had to cut it off and will be replacing it with a new coupling flange...but i havent made up my mind if i am going to use a soild one again or the split one...hope this helps...search compass marine and you may find the atrical on this subject.....

regards

woody

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
Don't.. use hammers... you can use a socket or smaller shaft piece between the flanges and with longer bolts draw them together. Caution must be taken not to use so much force that the transmission flange breaks. Jaw pullers work but it's hard to get the space between the flanges. I'm so thankful I read this before friends helped me replace the seal on my boat's shaft with a PSS.. they wanted to use hammers... :eek: http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/pss_shaft_seal

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
I'm in the middle of this job right now. I had to cut the coupling off with roto-zip and am waiting for a new split coupling to come in.

Before going through that (it was a bear on my boat) remove your shaft seal and make sure your shaft is in good shape, then slide the shaft back and check the condition where it contacts the cutlass bearing. If the shaft is showing a lot of wear you'll want to cut the shaft out and replace it.

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I used this type of puller with the center screw cut short. I had to then insert nuts a size smaller than the screw a couple times.

BTW if you cut the steel coupling off, you will be finding little rust speckles all over your boat for the rest of your life. Cutting the stainless shaft will avoid that but you'll need a new shaft. If you need a new shaft anyway....

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Usually works

Using a socket between the flanges, placed on the shaft end, and then use longer bolts and nuts to force things apart. Use a SAE thread bold, and be sure to take a little on each bolt, working your way around. Also lots of PB blaster. If this doesn't work, you can use a angle grinder and split the old coupling. Be sure and cut it at the key way in the shaft, so you don't end up damaging the shaft, and having to buy a new shaft.

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Using a socket between the flanges, placed on the shaft end, and then use longer bolts and nuts to force things apart.
An old trick but smaller transmissions have flanges light enough that you can bend them this way. You won't see it until you try to align the engine and are working with .001 feeler gauges.

You are then toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.