shaft coupling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
When installing a steel shaft coupling on a stainless steel shaft is it proper to grease the shaft or use "Never Seize" in the shaft to prevent freeze up? I'm leaning toward "Never Seize".

Thanks

Jul 25, 2007
-Irwin -Citation 40 Wilmington, NC
For a good fit you want an interference fit, meaning the coupling should require the coupling require some force to put on. Not a lot but some. This type fit will remove most films when the coupling slides over the shaft. The reason you want this tight fit is to resist spinning on the shaft. the key will help this but you do not want all the torque placed on the key.

So to answer your question I see no harm in anti seize but it may not help much if you have a proper fit. I think the best thing you can do is coat and seal the coupling after it has been installed to prevent rust and moisture. Once a year inspect, clean and reseal if needed.

Capt. Wayne Canning, AMS
www.projectboatzen.com

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I used to live near Marine Machining who make most of the couplers available. They said there is no way to EXACTLY match coupler size and shaft size to perfect tolerance across the board, so they make the coupler very slightly tight expecting it to get a custom fit to the shaft by an experienced shop.

Jul 25, 2007
-Irwin -Citation 40 Wilmington, NC
gettingthere, Yes you are right. It is always best to take the shaft and coupler to the shop and have them fit the bore and then face the coupling to make sure it is true to the shaft. this way you will know everything is true and fitting properly.

Capt. Wayne Canning, AMS
www.projectboatzen.com

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Thanks, mine is definitely tight so I guess that is good. I'll use the Never Seize knowing that most of it will be wiped off. I already painted up the coupling but might need to touch it up after the full install.

Mar 23, 2013
Columbia 8.3 Vancouver BC
When installing a steel shaft coupling on a stainless steel shaft is it proper to grease the shaft or use "Never Seize" in the shaft to prevent freeze up? I'm leaning toward "Never Seize".

Thanks
If you have a keyway there should be no problem with 'never seize' either on the shaft or on the flange. Enjoy the job.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Split or full coupling? I always wondered (and still do) how folks with full couplings get those things INSIDE the boat. :) Anyone know????

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
Split or full coupling? I always wondered (and still do) how folks with full couplings get those things INSIDE the boat. :) Anyone know????
I worked briefly with a yacht mechanic in 2010. We'd unbolt the couplings, back off the 2 pinch-bolts, then (hopefully) just tap the coupling off as someone pulls out the propshaft from behind. This is on freshwater boats, mind you. Re-installation is the reverse, then the engine mounts are loosened and the engine hossed around til you have < 4 mil gap between coupling faces all the way around.

The only other way I could think of, if the coupling is first mounted on the shaft and faced as described, is to pull the engine. Its a reasonable approach if the engine was pulled for some other work.

Status
Not open for further replies.