Severe water problem!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Fitzpatrick

I recently purchased a 1994 Catalina 320. Found sea water accumulating under sink compartment, between hull and floor grid. Have eliminated seacocks, stuffing box, rudder posts and ancor well. Takes on water moored and under sail. quantity of sea water is approxiamtely 2 to 3 bockets per 48 hours. I would appreciate any suggestions or help. Jim

R

Richard Randall

C320 water

You might check the C320 association web site if you have not already. I recall seeing an article a few months ago describing problems on early C320s with water moving out of the bilge and into the space between the hull and floor while under way. I wonder if it is possible that you are finding water that has moved out of the bilge and into these areas, and not actually a new leak. Best of luck.

E

Ernie A

Maybe sink drain hose clamps.

Hi, Jim-- You said you checked the seacocks. But did you check the sink drain hose? When the boat heels (unless the seacock is closed) water backs up in the drain hose. The usual culpret is the hose clamp at the sink end, not the hull end. Normally, when the sink drains, there is little leakage there, but when it backs up it's a whole different story. Good luck-- Ernie April

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Don't rule out fresh water

It's easy to overlook a leak in the fresh water system - especially problematic if you have a city water hookup! You might also check the refer and Ac, if you have them, although that's way too much water for those sources.

G

Gary

water in bilge

I too have had water in my bilge.I found that my mixing elbo was cracked.The mixing elbo is where the exhaust from the engine goes to before it enters the muffler.Mine is cast. The replacment is stainless. I had catalina yachts make mine up.It really is a simple process to get to it. Remove your engine cover and start your engine. Watch the exhaust pipe to see if thats the problem. You will be able to see it as the engine is running. If thats the problem, email me and I will walk you thru it step by step so there will be no guess work. Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.