secret new storage lockers in H42!

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
just posted this on owner mods- if you have a H42- take a look-would be interesting to know if others find the same opportunity!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Tried to remove the tops of both seats awhile ago so as to open up that for storage space. Removed the screws, but it seemed to be secured with an adhesive. Must give it another go. Space would come in handy, for sure.

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
Tried to remove the tops of both seats awhile ago so as to open up that for storage space. Removed the screws, but it seemed to be secured with an adhesive. Must give it another go. Space would come in handy, for sure.
mine came right off but they did have a bead of silicone under the edge

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
re the secret new lockers on my H42, I wanted to add this detail on the rhs under cupboard, this locker needed more trimming than the other side, so wanted to show you - had to remove a 1,1/2" stip off the front edge and 1/2" off the rear edge- see pics. After you refit the cushion, you cant tell any different from before.

Attachments

mbaker

Jun 11, 2013
hunter passage 42 Stony Pt., NY
Been using it for years. Storage under port side also. I cut a access in the sole forward of the mast post to access the unused space under to port settee. There is also a ton of space under the settee table if you dont mind removing the table and base to access. A bit of a pain but holds a ton of supplies....

Attachments

Apr 21, 2017
Hunter 42 Passage Punta Gorda
Excellent idea. I'll put it on my improvement list.

Has anyone opened up the area below the sole under/foward of the portside dining table? I'm suspecting there is as much space as where the holding tank sits on the starboard side. I'm trying tio figure out how not to jeopardize the table mount while still getting good access.

Thanks Jim

mbaker

Jun 11, 2013
hunter passage 42 Stony Pt., NY
Jim, we are on the east coast of Florida and were going to the Bahamas until the world lost its mind over the CV. We had stocked the boat with 3 months supply of food and adult beverages. I have taken the sole off that supports the settee table in the past and was amazed at the amount of wasted, useable space that is there. Unfortunately, I also would not mess with trying to cut an access point there afraid to lose the support for the table. But what we did do is remove the table and support post and place many, many, many bottles in there. Used packing bubble wrap to secure them and it has worked out fine. Only need to access when more accessibly supplies are diminished. Not totally convenient, but it works......

Apr 21, 2017
Hunter 42 Passage Punta Gorda
Thanks MBaker - seems like a reasonable approach (I also like what you did on the sole forward of the mast post - seems like that would provide pretty good access to the forward portion). Sorry to hear about the scuttled Bahama trip - at least you're all stocked up ! If you make it over to the west side of Florida - Charlotte Harbor - let me know - I'll buy you some beer - Jim

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Gave it another go while out on the water the other day. Well what do you know, both came right up. But rather than install a hinge or modify any cabinet work, decided to install a few fiddles instead. Worked great and seats stay put. Easy to remove and replace. Here are a few pics. Thanks for the reminder, Eian. Great idea.

Starboard
Belle-Vie Storage00006.JPG

Port
Belle-Vie Storage00005.JPG

Port
Belle-Vie Storage00004.JPG

Starboard
Belle-Vie Storage00001.JPG

Port
Belle-Vie Storage00007.JPG

Starboard
Belle-Vie Storage00008.JPG