Seafarer Forum Added - Spread The Word

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2008
Catalina 34 St. Simons Island
I have requested that the Seafarer Forum be added to SailboatOwner.com and I thank the website owners for responding so promptly. I've owned a Seafarer since 2000 and have followed the various Seafarer sites with a great deal of interest. In particular it seems that the old Sailnet forum was the most used by Seafarer owners.

In addition to the Yahoo Seafarer Group and the Trailer Sailor forum we now have this forum on SailboatOwners.com to exchange ideas and compare notes about our boats. I am not trying to take any focus away from these other sites, but simply trying to generate more interest amongst the former group and attract new members.

Sharing knowledge about these boats is very beneficial for experienced and new owners. Please take a few minutes and share the link to this site with fellow Seafarer owners.

Last edited:
B

Brian Tousignant

Self Steering Systems

Hello James,
Another forum is likely a good idea as things seem to have dried up since the Sailnet forum was discontinued. I have not checked out the Yahoo site but will.

I have an old Autohelm 3000 setup which does not seem to repond to a heading setting although the unit is in the original box and does not seem to have been used very much, if at all. Is it possible that the compass component could have lost its magnetic reference ?

What are the other Seafarer owners using as self steering system ?

brian S38 OHM

Dec 25, 2008
Self Steering Systems

Hello James,
Another forum is likely a good idea as things seem to have dried up since the Sailnet forum was discontinued. I have not checked out the Yahoo site but will.

I have an old Autohelm 3000 setup which does not seem to repond to a heading setting although the unit is in the original box and does not seem to have been used very much, if at all. Is it possible that the compass component could have lost its magnetic reference ?

brian S38 OHM
Brian,
Thanks for starting a discussion on this forum. I don't have any experience with self steering systems but hopefully someone knowledgeable will respond. I try to monitor the Yahoo and Trailer Sailor sites but for some reason they don't seem to generate a lot of interest. The old Sailnet site automatically sent emails to subscribers every time someone posted or responded to a topic. While some found the flood of emails to be intrusive that may have been Sailnet's "secret" to success, at least as far as the Seafarers' group was concerned. Personally, I prefer to login and check these sites for activity rather than have all the emails coming in. We'll see how this progresses as word spreds. Good luck with the self steering.

James Newsome
ROMA S29

Sep 24, 2010
Seafarer 26 Union Springs, NY
Dear James,
Thanks for this site. I'm the guy with the cockpit scupper drain problem. I can't find out the interior configuration of my 1973 Seafarer26. The cockpit scupper drains stright down but instead of discharging overboard through a transom drain it trickles down into the bilge. How can I get it to drain overboard? Should there be a Y tube with cockpit and bilge pumping going through and out?
Thanks for your advice.
Kim Gilbertson

stpabr

Nov 3, 2010
Newport 28II Chesapeake Bay, MD
Does it "Trickle" even when you have a lot of water in the cockpit?
If so, it's leaking and if similar to my boat, you should have the hose going to a thruhull some where. My Newport has the drain going straight down to a thruhull with an obsolete gatevalve on both sides, meaning two drains=two thruhulls.

wbcj44

Nov 12, 2010
Seaferer Sloop Boston
Engine

I have a 1984 S26 and it started to blow black smoke from the transom while under 3000RPM. Is this something I need to worry about? This has never done this before. Also while on this subject matter, I was not able to reach the full RPM of my Yanmar engine just the other day while motoring her into dry dock. I was only able to reach 2000RPM under full throttle. Now I feel like something is wrong. Can anybody help me or do I have to have an Diesel mechanic look into this?

Dec 25, 2008
FYI, about a year ago I set up a SEAFARER YACHTS group on Facebook. We have about 80 members at this time. FB is easier to post pictures. I like having multiple forums for interested owners. The original SailNet site is still good as is the Seafarer Research web site. The latter is not updated very often. I have noticed that the Trailer Sailor Seafarer group has been dropped, I assume for lack of use. If you have a Facebook account check out SEAFARER YACHTS.

Nov 24, 2010
Seafarer 26 Ruskin
Hello James,

brian S38 OHM
I have an autohelm 3000. Works great
I think there is a manual online. If not I have one

Status
Not open for further replies.