Seafarer 38 Hatch gasket replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 5, 2012
Seafarer 38 Fairport Habor, Lake Erie
I'm doing maintenance to my Seafarer 38 to better market it. The deck opening Aluminum Hatches have tired gaskets. Has anyone replaced them successfully? If so please share your experience. I've looked for new ones online but unable to find at the size needed 17 1/2 x 20 1/2 I feel there should be a way to renew or replace the gasket. Also the port light rubber gasket are dry any recommendations to soften the material. I thought mineral oil or vaseline would do the trick.
Lad

Dec 25, 2008
Catalina 34 St. Simons Island
I'm doing maintenance to my Seafarer 38 to better market it. The deck opening Aluminum Hatches have tired gaskets. Has anyone replaced them successfully? If so please share your experience. I've looked for new ones online but unable to find at the size needed 17 1/2 x 20 1/2 I feel there should be a way to renew or replace the gasket. Also the port light rubber gasket are dry any recommendations to soften the material. I thought mineral oil or vaseline would do the trick.
Lad
I have the same hatch on my Seafarer 29 and have also been unable to locate the exact replacement size. I pull my hatch a couple years ago and finally decided to clean it up, replace the gasket, and re-install it.

I wanted to replace the old grazed Plexiglas but the aluminum screws in the frame were seized and wouldn't release. I just didn't want to get into drilling them out and re-tapping the holes at this time. I did take several pictures and also made a couple templates of the opening in the cabin roof and hatch. At some point in the future I will either make a hatch cover, or make an effort to drill out the screws and replace the Plexiglas.

I found the gasket material at an auto parts store, and it works extremely well. Here's a link to pictures of the hatch cover and the gasket material with measurements. If you find an exact replacement please let me know.

https://picasaweb.google.com/jhnewsome17/RomaForwardHatchOverVBerth?authkey=Gv1sRgCPrShrHUib7OIg

James

Status
Not open for further replies.