Scupper drain question Hunter 34

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Mnmpizza, replied recently about the flange fittings on the scupper cockpit drain on Hunter 34 and I believe on the 31 are the same as well.
The drain flange on the port side is not flush with the floor, it's raised approximately 1/4 inch above the cockpit floor. The opposite drain on the port side is flush mounted. Because the scupper drain flange on the port side is not flush to the cockpit, water never drains completely. The oposite side drains perfectly because it is flush.

My question as is mnmpizza is why did Hunter purposely engineer the cockpit drains this way?
This has been annoying me for thirty eight years.

Perhaps this year I may decide to correct it or just continue to use a sponge to soak up the cup of water that doesn't drain as I have been doing for the past 38 years.

If anyone who knows why Hunter did this please shed some light on the subject.

The only thing I can think of is that someone in a cubical in the engineering dept 38 years ago was bored and figured out how to get into my head every time look at this scupper drain.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Two designers sitting in adjacent cubicals. Each were assigned to design the cockpit drains (one starboard and one port). The boss said "don't talk to each other" and the winner will be chosen. In the end, the boss didn't want to offend anyone, so they chose both.

The H34 lists to starboard with empty water tanks and battery placement. So the one on the low side drains completely and the other side should never get water in it except when washing the boat. I've been pondering this as well for the last 36 years. I guess we'll never figure it out.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
Fixed mine (H31) last spring while replacing cockpit drain hoses. Had to bevel the hole but much better now.
Great idea! I keep finding green sludge around the scupper due to its 1/4 inch above the deck

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
I was thinking of using a dermal tool and notching a few v groves into the raised flange to allow water to flow into the scupper. I just have to be sure that this is feasible and will not cause any leaks.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
Mnmpizza, replied recently about the flange fittings on the scupper cockpit drain on Hunter 34 and I believe on the 31 are the same as well.
The drain flange on the port side is not flush with the floor, it's raised approximately 1/4 inch above the cockpit floor. The opposite drain on the port side is flush mounted. Because the scupper drain flange on the port side is not flush to the cockpit, water never drains completely. The oposite side drains perfectly because it is flush.

My question as is mnmpizza is why did Hunter purposely engineer the cockpit drains this way?
This has been annoying me for thirty eight years.

Perhaps this year I may decide to correct it or just continue to use a sponge to soak up the cup of water that doesn't drain as I have been doing for the past 38 years.

If anyone who knows why Hunter did this please shed some light on the subject.

The only thing I can think of is that someone in a cubical in the engineering dept 38 years ago was bored and figured out how to get into my head every time look at this scupper drain.
if the low one clogs the raised one will still drain

Jan 22, 2008
if the low one clogs the raised one will still drain
CLEVER ANSWER, but if they are at the same level, then the amount of debris that clogged the first drain will be shared with the second until a second amount of debris clogs them both. (Your answer may be better than mine, but what kind of debris clogs a boat on the water?

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
And still the mystery continues

Still think hunter engineers were figuring out to mess with useven after 35 plus years!

Jan 22, 2008
And still the mystery continues

Still think hunter engineers were figuring out to mess with useven after 35 plus years!
Do any other boats have a single raised scupper? Always seems to be a place where water stands and then leaves a green mess.