Scope

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 26, 2004
Macgregor Venture 25 Trailer Sailor
When anchoring I understand that a 7:1 scope is recommended. So lets say you are anchored in 10 feet of water and have played out 70 feet of rode. During the night the wind shifts 180 degrees and you are now in 20 feet of water. So do you let out more rode? Or is the 7:1 scope relative to where you drop the anchor straight down from the deck?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I'm no expert but I would say it is relative to where you dropped your anchor. The depth from the anchor to the surface is the same whether you are in 10' of water or in 20'. Tide issues might affect this rationality.

May 26, 2004
Macgregor Venture 25 Trailer Sailor
I'm no expert but I would say it is relative to where you dropped your anchor. The depth from the anchor to the surface is the same whether you are in 10' of water or in 20'.
Thanks. That makes perfect sense, why didn't I see that :redface:

D

defrich

rode

When anchoring I understand that a 7:1 scope is recommended. So lets say you are anchored in 10 feet of water and have played out 70 feet of rode. During the night the wind shifts 180 degrees and you are now in 20 feet of water. So do you let out more rode? Or is the 7:1 scope relative to where you drop the anchor straight down from the deck?
Don't forget to factor in the tide tables to your scope.
Blue Skies...Richard

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Also to really be accurate you need to add the distance from the water to the top of the bow where the line is attached.

Our primary anchor now is a 22 lb. Bruce with 30 feet of chain and I actually try and let out a 8 to 10 ratio for the scope as added insurance and we never had the anchor drag once on our 24 day trip and some of that was in less than idle conditions at night.

Thanks again to those of you who recommended the 22 lb. Bruce and 30 feet of chain with 200 feet of line. We went to bed sometimes in dead calm to be awoken in the night with 20+ mph winds and waves coming in and that is no time to be letting out more scope if close to an obstruction or moving to a different anchorage. We are very glad we went overboard some on our anchoring gear as we are on anchor every night out.

c ya,

Sum

Apr 30, 2006
Macgregor 26s Kemah, TX
Sum,
One other advantage of an oversize anchor rig besides safety is that you sleep a lot better. When you wake up in the middle of the night and all seems well, you're not tempted to get up and check. You just roll over and it's much easier to get back to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.