Scoop stern caulking at waterline?

curtdo

Nov 9, 2012
Hunter 336 Atlanta
Hi, Has anyone tried to re-caulk the scoop stern joint at the waterline? My looks to be getting very worn out, and the joint is underwater at times, especially when under power, so I want to make sure I don't get leaks.

It seems to be a rubber type substance, and as you know, it is quite thick in width.

Any thoughts on process and/or material to use?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Check the interior of your hull at the water line in this area.

The entire deck/hull joint at the stern (in our boat) has a large, heavy fiberglass overlay in this area just to prevent water ingress in the even of a joint leak.

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
Mine also has the interior fiberglass. But I've read lots of stories of leaks at the stern where people have pulled the rub rail off and refilled the joint with sealant. Unless someone put sealant on the outside of the joint I would even think the OP should see any at the joint.

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Hi Curt, I live in Columbia SC and sail on Lake Murray. I've got some dock damage on my stern and don't seem to have any leaks! Do you have an AC? I want to install one on my 1996 336 but I am reluctant to put holes in my boat without seeing where others do the same! Pictures would be awesome. You can send them to me if you would please help I would owe you a big favor! My email address is leetrapp@gmail.com.

Thanks

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
Yes: I went through resealing mine this spring. See
So far, so good: I haven't seen any more leaks in that area
Jay