Scammers

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Please be aware of scammers plying the for sale classified ads. Specifically Katty Martins7000@Outlook.com.
I have had two different scammers within the past 2 weeks attempt to "purchase" items I have listed on this site.... they want to send a cashiers check and have their agent pick the item up..

I tell them i need either a money order, cash or a credit card.. after a couple of lame attempts to get me to take the cashiers check, they go away..

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Right now those ads are open to the world. I can restrict them to registered users if you want. It will cut your audience down quite a bit but stop 90% of the scammers.

Jan 15, 2012
Ericson 28/2 Port Kent
I don't mind dealing with the scammers. I asked this one to identify themselves as a registered user and I heard nothing further from them. Just wanted to let other folks know that slimy operators are lurking and be cautious who you deal with. Thanks, Phil.

Jan 10, 2012
HUNTER 49 MARINA DEL REY
Kattie Martins is trying to scam me on gear ads. The deal didn't add up. So I didn't bite.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Same here with me Phil. Got an email from Katty Martins. No response to my reply requesting her registered name on SBO. It looked bogus to me and I have just ignored it.

Since this is the first time I have seen or heard about this kind of activity on SBO, I would be inclined to leave the ads open to the general public. It doesn't seem to be at the level to warrant closing the ads to the public yet.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Bad English

They're easy to spot because most of them are from outside the U.S. and their English is not quite right. Also, they are always ready to buy right now. Same scam. They will send someone with a check for over the amount with the request that you give them the difference in cash for whatever reason. Also, they often pose as a soldier overseas so they cannot meet in person and the purchase is for a friend or relative for a surprise. When I sold my boat last year I got 5 of these for every real response.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
. and their English is not quite right.
LOL, this accounts for a HUGE percentage of the forum traffic! Terrible miss-spellings; grammatical gaffes, and sentences that being with 'So'.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
LOL, this accounts for a HUGE percentage of the forum traffic! Terrible miss-spellings; grammatical gaffes, and sentences that being with 'So'.
LOL!

Good job grammar cop! :naughty:

Mar 20, 2012
so... even though my spelling is usually correct, and I am not a scammer, im sure that due to my "grammatical gaffes" that this includes me... but thats ok 'cuz sometimes we all like to feel we're included and a part of something:D:D..

and besides, after all these years i'm too old to change my ways now....

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
so... even though my spelling is usually correct, and I am not a scammer, im sure that due to my "grammatical gaffes" that this includes me... but thats ok 'cuz sometimes we all like to feel we're included and a part of something:D:D..

and besides, after all these years i'm too old to change my ways now....
Nah,. only because your CAPITAL shift button is either broken or never used!!!:eek::eek::eek:

In spite of that, your content is always superb! :):):)

Mar 20, 2012
Nah,. only because your CAPITAL shift button is either broken or never used!!!:eek::eek::eek:

In spite of that, your content is always superb! :):):)
thanks for bringing that up Stu, i was kinda hoping no one would notice;)... I am very aware of the problem and even cringe myself sometimes, and i dont really know if im actually too lazy to use the CAPITAL shift button, or if its the age thing where im just too old to change my ways... but no matter the reason, i think ive just now put all the thought into the problem that i am likely ever to do, so I will just carry on and pretend no one has noticed:D...