Sanitary hose pump out deck plate connection

Nov 19, 2017
Bavaria Bavaria 40 North Hero, VT
I am replacing the port side aft waste holding tank in my Bavaria 40 with a larger tank. The sanitary hose that runs from the tank up to the pump out deck plate disappears above a wood lining through a hole slightly larger than the hose diameter. Does anyone have experience in accessing the hose connection to the deck plate hardware? I'm assuming that there are some hose clamps to be removed but don't see an easy way to access them (is there ever an easy way??). Does one need to just cut out more of the wood lining to access the connections? I am removing the hanging locker that was in front of the original smaller waste holding tank in order to increase the new tank size, so aesthetics in the locker is not really an issue. I am hoping that I do not need to remove the deck plate to access the hose connection to it. Any insights or past experience with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Jeff Tirey, Finally

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
On some other brands of boat, the hose was originally cut somewhat long, to allow it to be fed up thru the deck and clamped to the barbs. Then it was lowered down the deck fitting screwed down with sealant. What I am unsure about is how much "oversize" the hole had to be cut to allow the clamps to be pushed down thru the hole. Good news is that you can get by -perhaps- with single clamping, since that connection is on the vacuum side of the HT.

Or, you may just have to gain access to the underside of the deck by removing whatever is in the way, roundly cursing the original builders as you do the work. :(

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
cut it where you can and only replace the lower half that is easily accessed by splicing the hose with a coupler?
For pumpout hose this should not be an issue.

Nov 19, 2017
Thanks for the reply. Since I don't want to detach the deck plate, it is looking more and more like I'll be cutting out some of the wood at the top of the locker space.

Nov 19, 2017
Since the sanitation hoses are 15 years old, I'm planning to replace them in their entirety to insure that there are no lingering potentials for permeating odors. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
+1 for FastOlson's comment.
Only this part of it: Or, you may just have to gain access to the underside of the deck by removing whatever is in the way, roundly cursing the original builders as you do the work. :(
Opening up access to the barb on the deck pumpout fitting is the only way to do it right. Lifting the fitting out to put the hose onto it won't work because the hole isn't big enough to let hose clamps pass through it...and you'll create a whole new big problem if you make it big enough.
As for your 15 yr old hoses...Good plan to replace 'em! 10 years is the average working life of any hose, 'cuz rubber and flex PVC dry out and become hard, brittle and prone to cracking with age. I'd go with Raritan SaniFlex Raritan Saniflex Sanitation Hose It's totally resistant odor permeation and so flexible it can be bent like a hairpin without kinking, which makes running it a LOT easier than with stiffer hose. Defender has it for $9.99/ft. Find out if sbo.com can match it or at least get close.

Nov 19, 2017
Thanks Peggy. Looks like I'll have a date this spring with my sawzall! I'll try to get my mirror on a stick in a position to see what's up above the wood liner for the locker, so I don't do something I'll really regret.

BTW, Triple M Plastics is fabbing the new waste storage tank this winter. Thank you again for that referral.

Jeff

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Looks like I'll have a date this spring with my sawzall!
Dreml now makes a saw attachment that might work...

Did we ever discuss the best locations for the fittings on your new tank? If not, we prob'ly should 'cuz they're not always the most obvious locations. ..and it's a bit late once they're in.

Nov 19, 2017
Peggy:
The sawzall comment was a little tongue in cheek. I'll be looking very closely at what is above the wood head liner before anything gets cut. I already see that the propane gas line runs against the hull a little lower than the the wood head liner, so obviously significant care is required there.

I did spend some time thinking about where the fittings should be located before I sent off the drawings. I think I've got that covered reasonably well. And as you say, it's probably too late anyway.

Best, Jeff

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Opening up access to the barb on the deck pumpout fitting is the only way to do it right. Lifting the fitting out to put the hose onto it won't work because the hole isn't big enough to let hose clamps pass through it...and you'll create a whole new big problem if you make it big enough.
Some builders don't use hose clamps at the deck fitting. They use stainless steel seizing wire instead of hose clamps. It makes removing the deck fitting an easy job without having to enlarge the deck opening to allow the hose clamps to fit through. If your builder was forward thinking, it's an easy job.

Nov 19, 2017
Having finally gotten the old tank out of the locker it was located in, I was able to squeeze in the locker and look up to see that the hose connection to the deck plate was made with a hose clamp. So, simple removal and installation of a new replacement hose. See the photo.

....Just in case you other Bavaria owners need to access the hose to the pump out deck plate.
Cheers....
Jeff

Aft Waste Holding Tank Pump Out Hose Deck ConnectionC.jpg