Sailing withdrawal support thread

Dec 5, 2014
Catalina 22 Baltimore
I got to within 5 miles of the channel markers and the wind shifted to head on and the fog thickened. I started beating my way in but eventually got frustrated a motored. we went ashore for dinner and while there the temperature dropped from in the 70s to in the 50s and it started raining. the walk back to the marina and the dingy trip back to the boat was a BLAST!!

Overnight the winds were HOWLING (thank goodness for the mantus!) in the morning we were met with 15-20knot winds and a small craft advisory. I switched out the genny for the working jib and we started back across (its about a 25-30 mile crossing) luckily the predicted 6-8ft seas were never found and we had a pleasant beam reach in 4ft and smaller seas.
Hawk - Did you ever create a post on how you mounted your GPS? I searched the archives but most options involved cutting the fiberglass.

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
Lovin the pics (I'm dock-locked cuz of a blown transmission - we can sail all year here). But Gene, in your first pic, why is the boat heeled the wrong way?

druid

Apr 1, 2010
Cal 33 and Sea Pearl 21 . Crystal River, FL
Hawk - Did you ever create a post on how you mounted your GPS? I searched the archives but most options involved cutting the fiberglass.
It was probably outlined in my restoration thread but its really simple. It was just a piece of 2x2 red oak that I mocked up (to see what length would allow it to swing into the companionway while still allowing it to fold up inside). Then I got a piece of wooden dowel (1/2" I think) and drilled through the top bracket, then through the arm and only partially through the bottom bracket. I drilled the "pin" (dowel) would be a tight fit, then drove it in. The most important feature IMHO are the shear pins that hold the unit out. Inevitably the unit gets bumped while going in and out of the cabin in rough seas so the (I believe 1/8") dowel rods to a GREAT job of snapping before anything else is damaged. I just keep a handful of spares on board for when it happens (only once so far).

Mar 25, 2015
catalina 22 Fort Walton
Hey all, I'm home. I wanted to send my sincerest thanks to all of you who dropped a message or posted a picture for me. The posts and pics were a nice respite from my daily grind. God bless and there is a small chance I might actually get my boat on the water in March!

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Welcome home! Thank you for your service. Go sailing!

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
Remind me sometime how to catch a polar bear.
Guy walks into a bar in Whitehorse and say he wants to be a "real" Yukonner. So the bar patrons say: "you have to do THREE things: 1. Drink a jar of Yukka-flutz, 2. Wrassle a grizzly bear, and 3. make love to an Eskimo woman". So the guy grabs the jar of Yukka-flutz and downs it. Then he staggers out the door, looking for a grizzly.
He comes back, hours later, in rough shape. Cuts and bruises all over his body, one arm hanging limply at his side. "OK, where's the Eskimo woman you want me to wrassle?"

OK, that's grizzly, not a polar, but still...
druid

bnme

Jan 29, 2012
Catalina 22 Lillian, Alabama
Above is our '84 Catalina 22 docked in the fog at Perdido Beach, Alabama. We sailed her 46 times in 2015.

bnme

Jan 29, 2012
Catalina 22 Lillian, Alabama
Effie is my most frequent first IMG_0357.JPG mate and a good one.