Sailing withdrawal support thread

Mar 25, 2015
catalina 22 Fort Walton
Hahaha...keep turning left... I once flew gunships. All I did was turn left. Lmao...how wonderfully appropriately named. Sailing around the uk would be such a challenge, currents, storms, yeah...sounds awesome to me. I'll look up the videos.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
St. Johns River, 10/17-10/18. Saturday a front was coming, but a beautiful day, nice breeze except for an inexplicable calm right after we launched. We beat our way northward until near sunset.

Saturday night, listening to the Gators on the radio, losing to LSU .... :(

Sunday was blustery. 23 (mph) sustained. Running/broad reaching back south at 5-6 knots under just the working jib.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Catalina 22 Panama City, FL
Looks like similar winds to our Sat/Sun. Glad y'all got out.

Lane

Sep 30, 2013
Lake Harris, 11/14. Forty eight year old man discovers "selfie stick":

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
:pimp:
I'm glad to see your posts !

The only photo I can supply is one I took during my failed attempt to launch the boat for the first time. Yep. Still not in the water. You may end up sailing before I do.
Roy
Roy, when did you guys get unfrozen water in Winterpeg? Who's responsible?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
:pimp:

Roy, when did you guys get unfrozen water in Winterpeg? Who's responsible?
Who says climate change is bad ? We get 7 days of summer now. ;)

I shot this photo last spring, after the last Car Ice Racing event of the season.
The temps went up to 15C later that day and 2 days after that, the lake ice was covered with water.
It's a true Igloo, built with blocks, not just a hollowed out snow pile. Someone was using it as an Ice Fishing shack.

An immigrant family came buy right when I was taking the photo, and I took a shot of them in front of the "Traditional Canadian Home" so they could send it to their family, and freak them out.

It makes a great photo when you want to perpetuate the "Canadians live in Igloos" myth. :D
"The car is OK, but I really miss my dog team"

That endless view of the water.... err ice... sigh. ;)

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2015
catalina 22 Fort Walton
When I lived in Alaska we used to build 'genuine' Alaska igloos the same way. Winters are so much fun up North.

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
lived plenty long enough in the north. Winters were fun.

Then again I live in the florida keys now and don't own long pants or a long sleeve shirt anymore and winters are kind of fun here as well. hehe

Sep 30, 2013
When I lived in Alaska we used to build 'genuine' Alaska igloos the same way. Winters are so much fun up North.
Funny, I lived in Alaska too, when I was a kid. We had a cabin on the south fork of the Kuskokwim, about 120 WNW of Anchorage. WAY up in the mountains.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Galveston Bay mid November sailing barefooted with my first mate. Be safe!

Attachments

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
Wish I could get enough work out of him to be first mate. I have to travel with a cabin boy. Although if I had a crows nest he might be called a forward observer.

Mar 25, 2015
catalina 22 Fort Walton
All, Happy Thanksgiving from the sandbox!
Allen/HMT2, those pictures are priceless guys. A no kidding doggie life jacket...GENIUS!
Gene - I remember the fishing the most up there... Rainbow trout, cooked on an open fire with lemon and butter... Forget turkey, I want that!
Let's all hope that Turkey doesn't shoot down another Russian and that Russia doesn't do anything aggressive back-holy smokes has it been crazy.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
spartacus99:
Yeah,with Turkey being NATO and Putin being a bit of a wacko..... it's scary stuff.
Fishing is half the fun of being up north. I've been looking at various rigs for the C22.
I'm thinking an ice fishing rig would work well on the stern pulpit.

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Hi LR, Putin may be like a bull in a china shop, but one thing he's not is stupid. I want to see pictures of the ice fishing rig on the stern pulpit! You guys are having way too much fun with this! Ha Ha!