Sailing with the Pop Top Up

Apr 28, 2020
Catalina 22 Washington, NC
Learning more about our new boat everyday, and watching a lot of YouTube videos on various topics/tricks/tips.

I ran across this video and its the first I have seen where they had the pop-top raised while underway:
(3:10).

Thoughts?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
If you fall against it, it collapses. The lock is weak at the best of times. Good way to hurt yourself and break gear. Makes it very hard to tend sails. Extremely Quick way to sink your boat if caught unawares in a gust, especially if you are inexperienced.

Bad idea.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I never did on my Mac 26S for those same reasons. Not that I use it much where we sail, but the vang has to be neutralized to raise the top.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
good grief!!!

poptop up whilst sailing?
sail INTO foul weather?
big jib out in a blow?
not reefed?
crib boards not in place?
bet the lazarettes were not secured as well....dunno...

Actually a very good instructional video on what NOT to do!

Last edited:

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
If you fall against it, it collapses. The lock is weak at the best of times. Good way to hurt yourself and break gear. Makes it very hard to tend sails. Extremely Quick way to sink your boat if caught unawares in a gust, especially if you are inexperienced.

Bad idea.
:plus:

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
2:56 good instruction on how not to tack ... and not a PFD to be found-- but hey, clearly these two have their figure 8 MOB drills down to a science....

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I have often considered taking boat, car and motorcycle videos and under fair use rules, adding commentary on what not to do. Educational "fail" videos.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Well having been in the Chesapeake several times in storms, it requires a really careful sailor. The fetch is enormous from north to south so you can get some Atlantic sized waves (up to 12 ft at times) in there with serious wind gusts. I boated out of Quantico and up to Tobaco Rd. Brutal at times.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Was thinking about this thread and wanted to add some related information links.
Basically to reinforce a few things…

1) The need to keep the cockpit lockers ALWAYS secured when sailing. Some people use carabiners.
2) The need to keep the hatch closed when the wind pipes up. (The hatch evidently stays above the water on a normal knockdown, butI wouldn't want to count on it)
3) Making sure you can quickly release the mainsheet and jib sheet, if the boat is going to be knocked down.
While the C22 is a keelboat, I often sail it like a small dinghy, ready to spill wind/let the mainsheet out as needed, not just in a knockdown situation
Making sure the sheets can run free without jamming, is very important.

Click for a larger image
c22knockdown.png

Of course this stuff also applies to bigger sailboats. Don't think for a second that a big sailboat can't be knocked down and sunk with water into ports and hatches.
I know of a 40ft+ monohull that did so, on the last day of a bareboat charter in the BVIs.

And there is Albatross, Pride of Baltimore etc.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
And titanic so watch for ice not in the cooler or drink while sailing in the great white north )above N.C.

Apr 28, 2020
Catalina 22 Lake Monroe

Bad idea.
Don't sail with the pop top up. Got it. But I can't put mine up. There is no hardware at all on mast to hold it. Or I'm missing something obvious.