Sail supplier? - working jib - G-26

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Foulds

I am looking for a supplier - preferably Canadian - to replace my working jib on my G26. I am familiar with North Sails - just wondering if there are other options that may be less $$ Jim Foulds

jimq26

Jun 5, 2004
- - -
I suggest Sobstadt.

Go to this web site, then go to Grampian links and check out the list of sail suppliers listed.

L

Les Reece

Halifax Sailmaker

Jim I recommend the Doyle rep in Dartmouth. 902-465-SAIL Les

J

Jim Smith

Check out your host here - SailboatOwners.com

While you are comparing, check out the sails from SailboatOwners.com. They are also made by Doyle. You can go to the sail loft in the chandlery.

Jun 7, 2004
Schock 35 Seattle
I suspect

most sails are made in Asia today but you can try this lead: http://www.canadianbusinessdirectory.ca/category.php?cat=2482

Sep 26, 2005
Grampian 23 -
Here is a Canadian sailmaker

Hello Jim, I had contacted Jeff about a year ago regarding a new mainsail. Below you can see our correspondence. His e-mail is jeff@skycraft.net so have a go. As I said, this e-mail is over a year old and what with petroleum prices, you need to get an update. Cheers, Ian Wing & a Prayer, G-23 _______________________________________________ Hi Ian, Having sailed my G-23 for a season, I'm a bit surprised that you have lee helm. Typical sloop rigs derive a majority of their power from the headsail; so I'd suspect you are way underpowered in light winds with the 100% jib. My #1 is ~ 155% and I have weather helm in light air. (and heavier wind, but that's moot because the boat becomes overpowered) Just to confirm terms: lee helm means that given no helm input, the boat bears away from the wind: you have to hold the tiller to lee to stay on course. If that's the case, you want to rake the mast aft and/or move the step back in order to correct the helm; or as you mentioned increase the mainsail area. Of course having a properly sized mainsail is important to balance and driving power. The published dimensions I have for the main is a hoist of 23.7' and foot of 9.3'. Published dimensions are not necessarily the correct ones, but they can give you an idea of what's on other G 23's. Increasing the roach will help reduce lee helm too, but we have to be careful that the leech doesn't hang up on the backstay. The price for this sail with 6.5 oz dacron 2 reefs, and optional top 2 full battens to increase roach is $1145 Cdn. Sail bag and leech line, and telltales are standard. We can work out the exchange rate later when we're ready to go ahead with the sail. Hope this helps, Sincerely, Jeff Williams H. Ian Proverbs wrote: Hello Jeff, I'm interested in pricing a cruising main for a G-23. Right now I'm just looking for a ballpark quote, as I'm not sure if I can afford both a sail and the whole restoration of my boat. But I'm also an optimist! My current main is too small for the boat. It is the original sail, I am quite sure. One problem, I have a lot of lee helm in very light winds using my 100% jib and this current main. I've checked the mast, it's pretty much vertical and as part of the rebuild I am going to move the base of the mast forward about 6 inches. I think after tweaking the rigging, I will still have lee helm as the mainsail is too small. So I am thinking of 6 inches more hoist, 6 inches more on the foot and more roach. I'd like to have two sets of reef points in the sail too. Specific measurements will follow, but I would appreciate a quote on a main. I also realise currency fluctuations will change the final price, which in all honesty may be sometime into the future. Thanks for your help, and compliments on your website. Cheers, Ian Proverbs G-23 #299, Wing & a Prayer.

J

Jim Foulds

Sail ordered...!

Thanks to all who replied to my post. I have ended up with the Doyle rep. in Dartmouth (thanks Les). Jim Foulds

Status
Not open for further replies.