Sail Number

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
No Parsons you're right about the US flag.

I meant more about the courtesy flag. To be flown only when in foreign waters; or with foreign nationals on board as guests. In the first case on starboard. Latter case on port.

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
Catalina, Hobbie 22, 16 Windycrest
In terms of identification, what is the metal plate for? Looks like I have to get the Hull number for my sail number?
New here! Glad to be here.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Wow - resurrecting an olde thread!

Anyhow, sail numbers are much like race car numbers - a convenience in starting and timing a race. They're up to the owner as long as they are unique and the boat's not in some high-level competition. If you're going to be entering your boat in a serious (Olympics, Nationals, Volvo round-the-world, etc) you need a unique number and US Sailing is the administrator (https://www.ussailing.org/competition/offshore/services/#sail-numbers ). They'll register you with a sequential (5 digits now?) number and you can print USA ###### on everything you own, whether on sail, t-shirt, back tattoo, whatever. Some of the serious amateurs that I've talked to really like these as they look official.

For most of us, we're just beer-can racing, and even semi-serious amateur races do not really care that much what number you put down, as long as it's unique to their race. Most people put their hull numbers up there as it's sometimes meaningful and probably pretty unique in a field of thirty boats. There are very few rules about such formalities in amateur sports.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Its on the starboard side of the transom. Yes it normally matches the sail number unless sails have been swapped with a different boat. The C22 national association has tons of fun info on Hull numbers and how to interpret them if your interested.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Actually you can fly the aux ensign from a starboard spreader or main truck or halfway up the leech.