Sail Number?

Sep 16, 2020
Catalina 22 New Braunfels
Is my sail number part of my HIN? I know... it is on the sail dummy. I have not raised the sail since I bought her a few weeks ago. Performing lots of fixes. My girl has been neglected.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Only if was original equipment, they are very portable.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
You actually don't have a sail number.... those are really only issued by US Sailing in the USA.

If you choose to race in a One Design, then you should use the number of your hull build number (from your HIN)

Or you can just make one up.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The fellas are right. For your C22, the sail number is from 4 to 5 digits (except for way older boats starting with hull #1 - 999!). The HIN has all the gobbledegook first and then the last digits are the same as what appears on the sail.

I had an 81, #10496.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Your boat's individual sail number should be your hull number, and that is part of the HIN. OEM sails will usually have the class emblem and the sail number. Sometimes a prior owner was too cheap to pay for having this on his new main. It's good to have it.
If only for the emergency when you have to call for a tow or a rescue and telling them to look for "the white sailboat" may not always prove helpful. :)
Getting a national-assigned number is good if you race in more formal events or sometimes in other venues. Local race committee's usually will not require it, but DO need a way to identify you quickly in a crowd.
Often, when buying a well-used boat, the original blown-out main is at the bottom of a pile of stuff including in the sale... and on its faded panels will be this information, or what's left of the numbers and emblem. :)

If you post up the actual HIN, we can help you decipher the info from it. Usually. Perhaps.

Fair winds!