Sail cover insignia

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
Anyone here have the sail cover insignias that CD sells? I'm making new canvas this season and want to put these on my sail cover but I'm concerned about how well they hold up in the sun since the white part is all screen printed. They are really pricey so I'm curious how long I can expect them to look nice before they start cracking and peeling.

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
Are they iron on vinyl, or embroidered?
They are a single piece of red Sunbrella fabric screen printed with white vinyl and they sew on. At $75 a pair, I want to make sure they aren’t going to look like crap in two seasons. I know the Sunbrella will hold up, just don’t know about the white screen print part.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I added the CD ones to my sail cover in 2018. By the third season the white is mildewed and looks like crap.
Been thinking about making my own using a white vinyl and red sunbrella.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
At $75 a pair, I want to make sure they aren’t going to look like crap in two seasons.

No offence but that cost seems a bit crazy for an insignia. You can buy the entire cover, custom made with monogram of your boats name from Sailors tailor for $180 complete with all snaps / closures. On their website the embroidered insignia is of a Capri 22 but a quick call and im sure you could have the open diamond placed on the cover. Just a thought.

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
I added the CD ones to my sail cover in 2018. By the third season the white is mildewed and looks like crap.
Been thinking about making my own using a white vinyl and red sunbrella.
Thank you, that’s exactly what I needed to know. I’ve thought about making my own too but haven’t really figured out a great way to do it plus to buy the minimum order of 1 yard each color would cost about 50 bucks anyway.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Thank you, that’s exactly what I needed to know. I’ve thought about making my own too but haven’t really figured out a great way to do it plus to buy the minimum order of 1 yard each color would cost about 50 bucks anyway.
Luckily I have some scraps of the two colors needed.

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
No offence but that cost seems a bit crazy for an insignia. You can buy the entire cover, custom made with monogram of your boats name from Sailors tailor for $180 complete with all snaps / closures. On their website the embroidered insignia is of a Capri 22 but a quick call and im sure you could have the open diamond placed on the cover.
No offense taken. Understand that I am doing more than just a sail cover, I’ll also be making a Bimini and boot, a companionway cover, tiller cover and handrail covers as well. I'm also doing them in Marine Blue which is considered a "custom color" to sail cover makers so they can charge extra. Sailors Tailor would be $180 + $20 upcharge for twist lock fasteners + 10% upcharge for color. Pre-patterned cover here on SBO would run $241 and Catalina Direct $349. I'm doing all of my covers for about $200 total. Last year a guy in our yacht club bought out the left over inventory from a canvas shop that went out of business. After he got everything he wanted for his boat, he offered the rest to club members at crazy low prices. I got 20 yards of 60" Sunbrella Marine Blue for $100 (retail is about $26/yard). Thread, basting tape, binding, zippers and twist locks ran about another $100 from SailRite. Yeah, the insignias from CD are crazy over priced, but considering what I'm saving I could justify the cost for aesthetics.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Why put your self through the hassle ? On the sail cover is for others to know what your boat is. On the main is for YOU and others when sailing.. Isn't that the important time... when you're aboard...

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
Why put your self through the hassle ? On the sail cover is for others to know what your boat is. On the main is for YOU and others when sailing.. Isn't that the important time... when you're aboard...
By that logic, why do anything cosmetic to make a boat look nice?