• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Sabre 28 cruising speed

Sep 15, 2019
sabre 28 san juan islands
First post.
I have #579 Sabre 28...love the boat.
Engine is Westerbeke 13 and prop is 2 blade 14x10.
Can owners tell me what speed you get at 2600-2800 rpm.....or whatever you cruise at.
With a fresh painted and clean bottom I am not getting over 4.5 knots at 2600-2800 rpm...seems slow.
Max rpm is 3250 in neutral....3150 under power...maybe a little over 5knots at full rpm.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t littlecreek
You may think the bottom is clean but is it really clean. Also how heavy is boat. Sounds like clogged exhaust riser. I'd run it wide open and see if it builds power. Over time but 6 knots is all your gonna get. Motor sail in good wind maybe 7 knots

Sep 15, 2019
Thanks for the reply.
I read somebody here got 6.8 knots cruising speed.
I kind of thought 6 knots would be close to top speed.
Appreciate your thoughts.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
First post.
I have #579 Sabre 28...love the boat.
Engine is Westerbeke 13 and prop is 2 blade 14x10.
Can owners tell me what speed you get at 2600-2800 rpm.....or whatever you cruise at.
With a fresh painted and clean bottom I am not getting over 4.5 knots at 2600-2800 rpm...seems slow.
Max rpm is 3250 in neutral....3150 under power...maybe a little over 5knots at full rpm.
Have you confirmed your actual engine RPM with an optical tach? You can pick up one inexpensively from, e.g., Harbor Freight.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
First of all, how are you measuring speed? Speed over the water (knot meter), or speed over the bottom (GPS)? Second, how have you measured RPM; have you certified the accuracy of the tachometer? Boat speed is usually measured by the average of two runs in reciprocal headings over a known distance. (to eliminate the effect of wind and currents) What is the wet weight of your boat, it could be underpowered.

Sep 15, 2019
I appreciate your reply.
I was hoping to compare with another Sabre 28 owner...almost 600 were produced.
I may have put this in the wrong forum.
Specs for my engine match my rpm.
Speed is my knot meter and I was matching boat speed with another boat using there gps.
Just trying to figure out how fast a Sabre 28 is under power.
Thanks

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I appreciate your reply.
I was hoping to compare with another Sabre 28 owner...almost 600 were produced.
I may have put this in the wrong forum.
Specs for my engine match my rpm.
Speed is my knot meter and I was matching boat speed with another boat using there gps.
Just trying to figure out how fast a Sabre 28 is under power.
Thanks
Unless you have confirmed the rpm with an optical tach, you really do not know whether the tach on your engine panel is correct. They typically are off--sometimes by quite a bit.

Get yourself one of these and remove that variable from the equation: Digital Photo Sensor Tachometer