S2 27 Owners: Where is your traveler located?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scup

May 18, 2004
S2 27 Southern Lake Michigan
On the cabin top, or in the cockpit? Seems they were made both ways, or am I mistaken? Thanks.

Feb 20, 2008
S2 27 -
Cabin

Mine is on the cabin, and yes they have two rigs, racing and standard. Port side on mine resembles the racing rig, but the starboard is the standard rig.... I've no idea why, except maybe someone had attempted to convert it for racing at one time and gave up. I also have an OMC saildrive and not a yanmar.

Scup

May 18, 2004
S2 27 Southern Lake Michigan
Thanks, Number 25

So, what are your overall impressions of the S2 27? Are you happy with the boat? Any major issues (other than the OMC saildrive)? How does the cabintop sheeting work for you when you are at the helm?

J

JIm

Cabin top

Mine is on the cabin top. I replaced the origianl travler and mainsheet with a line control traveler and fiddle block set up. I now wish I had gone one size up on the travler because it is difficult to use in heavy air, the line is too small and 3 to 1 is not enough advantage. I think a 4 to 1 system with larger line would be good for the cabin top version.

Feb 20, 2008
S2 27 -
I'm really happy

I've been fixing some minor things here and there, just sanding/oiling the teak, rewiring the 12Vdc, rewiring the 110Vac, new joker valve, and the gaskets on my windows and hatch, nothing big yet. I had a little scare last Sunday in 20 to 30 knot gusts while sailing back to my home dock. My genoa had been yanking me over the water at a very fast pace (Garmin said 14.1Kts max trip speed) she heeled so far I thought I would be swimming to shore, but I managed to point straight into the wind and regain enough control to drop my sails and motor the short distance back to the dock.

R

Rick

traveler location

Mine is the racing rig so the traveler is located in the cockpit- which is fine since I prefer end boom sheeting since it is less of strain on the boom vs. mid-boom sheeting under high stress conditions. that said, i have bruised my leg at least 10 times, and tripped and fell while at the dock... Rick

J

Jim LeBlanc

I like cabin top travellers

I had a Catalina 30 which had a traveller across the seats and 3/4 down the boom (worst possible place), which I converted to a mid-boom configuration across the cabin top (standard configuration from Catalina). My 7.3 had a mid boom traveller at the foot of the companionway (not a bad location except it gets in the way for going down below if the traveller block is centered). My 9.2A has a end of boom traveller which is behind the helmsman. I don't like this position because it gets in the way of the helmsman when racing. The person trying to reset the boom after a tack is usually right where the helmsman needs to be. This location does make it easy for moving the traveller by the helmsman, if you are sailing short handed. Mid boom travellers over the cabin top are my favorite, from my experience with my Catalina 30 and other 30 to 40 foot boats. This position allows you to have someone out of the way of everyone else to reset the boom after each tack (typically standing in the companionway). Keep in mind that a mid bbom traveller must be long enough to be able to position the boom for beam reaching and that the force will be higher for the same boom position than for an end of boom traveller. I would suggest a large cross section traveller, with a ball bearing car and a 4 or 5 to one mechanical advantage ratio, so that the traveller car can be easily repositioned under heavy load.

Status
Not open for further replies.