S-L Anchorman 700 Windlass Rebuild

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I had a problem with this windlass. All of a sudden it would slip and not haul in the chain and anchor. Motor runs fine, just slips. I tightened the clutch to the max with minimal improvement.
So I pull the entire windlass and after disassembly I found two broken Circlips. I am not sure if that was the cause of my problem, but I am re-assembling with new parts.
My question: This windlass has two pawls that are used in the manual mode to haul in the rode. And in the motor up-haul mode the pawls are just engaged to drive the capstan and gypsy. I don't have a service manual and one does not appear to be available. When I disassembled the pawls were packed with grease- very thick grease. I am trying to figure out if I should repack with grease, and what kind, or if the pawls should be oiled like in a winch.
Does anyone know the answer?
I have to get this thing assembled and re-installed before my upcoming Maine cruise. No windlass is a show-stopper.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I am not sure what caused the slippage. I am hoping that replacing the two broken Circlips will solve the problem. But I am stuck on packing the pawls with grease or using oil. I suspect that packing with grease will be the answer, but I am not sure. It seems like oiling the pawls would let them work easier like in a winch. But if S-L didn't pack the pawls with grease, I am at a loss to explain where the grease came from. Now I wish I had taken pictures as I was dis-assembling.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I posted that manual in SBO.;)
I replaced mine.
I got the last remaining spare from the UK.
I still have my old one.... wink wink.
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I am not sure what caused the slippage.
What I found was the gear box drive. The largest gear had a spot about 20° that was slightly stripped.
If it was in the good part, it worked.
If it was is the worn part ...
Slippage.
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
That link that @justsomeguy showed to UK is where I got the gear box. They sent me a complete new unit with motor.
You can talk to the guy by email in UK, if you want to confirm. I still have the email conversation with him and his name.
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Well the grease won't hurt, in the short term.

If my memory is working, I remember a grease drip too.
We only inspected the gypsy and my son-in-law did that
I was underneath in the Anchor closet.:frown:
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
BTW if you still have "Slippage", we just "bumped" the windlass drive and it connected.
Once we had her running, it worked fine by rolling through that small gear wear spot.
Jim...