Rusty Keel Bolts

Oct 29, 2020
Catalina 22 Bremerton, WA
Hey everyone, new here. I have an issue that I'm not sure how to go about resolving. In my 76 C22 the keel bolts have rusted quite a bit after years of sitting without rainwater getting cleared out every so often. I had the whole vessel inspected a few years ago and the inspector said it was a major safety hazard, so I'm trying to figure out how to proceed. This is only one among a number of problems that have built up over the years, so I am most likely going to ask about those in the future given my limited experience and knowledge about sailboats in general. Any help would be appreciated, and many thanks in advance.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Take Pictures and Call Catalina. There just are not enough fin keels around to get a lot of internet support on these little boats. Most of the info you find here on keel bolts will apply to the later wing keel version or larger boats which are a whole different beast. I do know Catalina has a keel boat replacement kit but it is a lot of work and involves redrilling the keel bolts and tapping the holes. Post some pictures here and I'm sure others will chime in.

Feb 5, 2021
Catalina 27 New Rochelle
Miles;
Did you ever resolve this issue? I have a similar situation with a C27 and trying to get some advice.
Thanks

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
Me too, on my beneteau. I have the new stud and nuts. I am still trying to find a socket to fit it and the courage to do it. I can't measure it with a caliper due to the location and I've guessed wrong 3 times . I have 54mm 55mm and 56mm sockets. What do think 57mm ? I'll let you know when I do it.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Lead or iron keel? Stainless or galvinized bolts? Your lucky Catalina is still available for help and the 22 is light enough for diy. Lead keels usually are j shaped and molded in so likely need sister bolts next to originals. Iron keels can be redrilled and tapped for new bolts but I have no experience with either. Ofcourse boat is not safe till fixed.
I believe there is a great article on keel bolt replacement on the Sail magazine website if I remember correctly.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Had to put sister bolts on my old Catalina 27. Catalina provided a procedure. It worked but the project was a bear. While drilling horizontally through the lead keel ran into all kinds of strange materials cast in the lead, including red brick. Another fun part is trying to intersect a vertical hole in the keel inside the boat with a horizontal hole in the keel outside the boat. There is no reference to measure from. Good luck.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
You might find these threads helpful on the same subject.

Feb 5, 2021
Catalina 27 New Rochelle
Had to put sister bolts on my old Catalina 27. Catalina provided a procedure. It worked but the project was a bear. While drilling horizontally through the lead keel ran into all kinds of strange materials cast in the lead, including red brick. Another fun part is trying to intersect a vertical hole in the keel inside the boat with a horizontal hole in the keel outside the boat. There is no reference to measure from. Good luck.

Hi Roy,
I recently purchased a Cat 27', 1976. I was wondering what year yours was built?
The reason I ask is because the previous owner of my boat opted for the lag bolt repair , where drilling into the keel horizontaly is not required. He used 18" bronze silicon lag bolts , as they are more resistant to further corrosion. However, there is some commentary on various forums that suggests this method is not advised because the threads on the bronze lag bolts cannot be guaranteed to withstand the torque required, and also because of the portential for them to reach the "brick" you described in your post. In your case, I assume you locked the bolt down with a nut in the horziontal hole. In my case, I am relying solely on the lag bolt threads, so hitting brick would not be great. So, basically, I am trying to figure out if they used brick on the 1976 boat keels. Whatever thoughts info you can offer is much appreciated.
Thanks

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
You know existing bolts have a 10x safety factor so unless nut or especially bolt was 50% eroded it ain't going no where

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Me and my Cat, In my case, I am not sure what year my Cat 27 was. I sold that boat 19 years ago. I think it was a 1970. As I said above, the repair worked but was difficult to perform. The brick material I encountered while drilling horizontally through the lead were random pieces that I thought at the time were just contaminates in the lead.

Feb 5, 2021
Catalina 27 New Rochelle
Thanks Roy. In the meantime I spoke with the previous owner and he tells me he piloted holes first, nd did not encounter brick, just lead. Also, he used 12" not 18" lag bolts so, maybe it is less of a concern than I thought. In the meantime, I want to torque down the original bolts but they are quite rusty. Somehow, I need to get the rust of the top at least and make a judgement call as to whether or not to risk tightening. Crossing my fingers!