Rudder,

Aug 15, 2011
Hunter 45 Legend Holland
Has anyone removed the skin to inspect the rudder stock? We took a hard hit last summer then was grounded with rudder taking a pretty good beating. We had everything Infrared and didn't show anything, But having 2 broken ones on my 31 Hunter I really want to see the steel post on my 45' Hunter Legend. I started opening it up and it's slow going. I see they reduced the rudder stock at the first tang creating an additional joint and weld

Attachments

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
There are people that do industrial x-raying. I have seen it used in the building trade to make sure you do not drill through a cable in pre stressed concrete floors etc. It might be worth pursuing.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
On my previous Catalina 30, I had two large skin "bubbles" (8" x 4"). Wasn't sure if it was freeze damage. I opened the skin with a vibrating type cutter. Turned out it was not properly filled at the factory. From what I've read, the skin is one problem but the crevice corrosion between the rudder post and the frame is the next big issue. I only had a skin problem. There are a number of you-tube videos on replacing the inside foam.

I did repair the foam void with thickened epoxy and skinned it over with glass and epoxy. Also redid the leading and trailing edges with epoxy and 6" and 3" cloth (eliminated edge fibers by using the 6" and 3" glass ribbon). A useful tip, the epoxy resin was covered with plastic wrap. The epoxy doesn't stick as long the plastic wrap is smooth with no wrinkles. The plastic wrap allows you to move the resin around, keeps it smooth, and keeps the glass and resin in its proper place.

o