Rudder repair M25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2011
Macgregor 25 Sacramento, CA
My rudder's upper section has a crack running centerline on the top and aft edges. My thought was to take my dremmel widen it a bit more and clean out any loose debris and run a bead of epoxy to fill it in and reseal it. But looks like the rudder is maybe gelcoated? So maybe a gelcoat patch material would be better. Thought I'd throw it out to those more experienced and get your thoughts.

thanks

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
That would be a good fix. You are talking a good 2 part epoxy (like West Systems)? Then just spraypaint the whole upper piece and make it look like new. While you are at it, put a notch in the top (see pic) so the rudder can't come down and rub on the transom.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Rather than notching the rudder perhaps you may want to install a bolt through the rudder to prevent the tiller from dropping down too far. That is how mine is setup. It would seem to me that the bolt would provide further protection against the rudder splitting apart.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
I would use either half hour or 2 hour epoxie glue, five min. does not have the strength of the others.

Just line the crack with masking tape to keep from making a mess and for easy clean up.

Remember the glue will run down hilll so you will have to do it in sections.

A hair dryer will make the glue watery so that it will lay smoth and get into the smallest crack but will make it set up faster.

You will have to paint over the repair because the glue will turn yellow after awhile in the sun.

Aug 20, 2011
Macgregor 25 Sacramento, CA
I worked on the rudder yesterday and appreciate the tips, taping it off saved me from creating a big mess. 90 degree day helped everything to flow smoothly. In fact I ran almost 3 oz. of epoxy into the top crack that I opened up like an 1/8 inch wide and 1/2 inch deep. My first thought was oh *&%#, but then later it was more like well it's got to be a heck more solid now than it was. The lower section I dropped into a gap while drilling away (felt like a dentist) so as the epoxy started to kick I just filled that crack up and figure this winter I'll take the bottom off and give it a better shot.

Attachments

dawg2

Jun 25, 2012
Mac Gregor 26D GA
I used marine epoxy to take care of an edge split like that on my daggerboard. I used small pieces of wood to force it into the cracks while I held the cracks open with a screwdriver. Once filled I clamped a board on each side to hold it straight and together until it dried.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I repaired my V25 rudder over last winter. Surprisingly it had no gel coat or epoxy on the joints where lower and upper meet. the wood core had started swelling and causing problems when raising and lowering. I also had cracks like the one you have. I dremel routed out the joint and filled it with West marine epoxy and glass cloth. I filled the cracks West marine epoxy and colloidal silica. I drilled and routered all hardware penetrations and epoxied/re-drilled them too. New aluminum plates and wire wheeled the hardware. I painted sanded both sections with topside paint. I treated the plates with an outbourd motor aluminum pre treat(zinc ozide?) Came out awsome. I have a bolt through the rudder to support the tiller as well. Works great. Oh, I almost forgot...stripped and sanded the tiller then ten coats of marine spar varnish. I now need a good set up for raising and lowering the rudder. I always envision my family sailing off without me after I fall in while lowering the rudder. Any suggestions?

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
I use my boat hook to push the rudder down, while pulling the lockdown line to lower the blade. And use it to get the rudder started when pulling it to the up position. Just slide the hooked end down the front side of the blade and when it's about halfway down, just pry back against the rub rail and the blade should "pop" up. I put a mark on my hook so I know when it's down enough.

image-1881966548.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.