Rudder post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Can you be more specific?

If the cap is above the rudder post in the cockpit, with an aluminum fitting for the emergency tiller (a known joke, but that's another story), then removing the bolt drops the rudder shaft. The rudder stock fits through the rudder shaft like this: http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/techdata-rudder-packing-gland.html

Usually when the bolt comes out the rudder drops. Are you on land or in the water?

The vintage C34s and C36s were built pretty much the same way, so your '84 C38 should be much the same.

Oct 1, 2008
Catalina C-42 mkII Alameda
I owned C-38 #297 (1985) model. On that boat, the rudder post fitting is located on the seat directly behind the wheel. There is no cap like on a C-34, C-36 or C-42. On my C-38 the rudder post fitting had a socket for the emergency tiller which actually worked quite well, unlike the joke fitting on my C-42. As some C-38s had tiller steering, the rudder post fitting looks just like you could take out the pedastal steering and fit a tiller. The rudder post fitting makes a great rudder position indicator exclusive to C-38s. The rudder post fitting was secured with single cross bolt. Below the rudder post fitting, is a nylon ring which acts as a bearing. Remove the bolt, & the fitting should come off unless corroded to the rudder post. Caution, the rudder post can drop when the rudder post fitting is removed. It will not drop out of the boat completely but will stop when the quadrant hits the rudder tube. Cut 2 x 2 lumber to prop under the quadrant to prevent the rudder from dropping.

Oct 8, 2008
catalina 36 Whitehall
Rudder Post Cap

Hello:
I think what you may be referring to as a cap is the aluminum ring ontop of the rudder post which has the 3/8 bolt running through it. It is on the outside and is 1 1/2 long. When I redid my rudder post and made new bearing assembly for the top of it I had a hard time trying to get the ring off. What I ended up doing is using a dremmel to split it and then ended up making a new one to go back on. This is what supports your rudder.
Randy

B

blackbeard

Hello:
I think what you may be referring to as a cap is the aluminum ring ontop of the rudder post which has the 3/8 bolt running through it. It is on the outside and is 1 1/2 long. When I redid my rudder post and made new bearing assembly for the top of it I had a hard time trying to get the ring off. What I ended up doing is using a dremmel to split it and then ended up making a new one to go back on. This is what supports your rudder.
Randy
Catalina 30--Is there a O ring that fits over the rudder shaft and goes on the top.? It is leaking from the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.