Rudder disassembly advise

Oct 4, 2010
76 Catalina 22 Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, NY
I had to cut away the locking discs as they we corroded in place, probably from never be loosened and removed over the years. In the attached photo you will see I have a threaded rod instead of a bolt which ran through the locking discs. One end had a nut which fit into the disc and the other end just had a handle. Can anyone advise what is the rudder made of where my threaded rod is? It seems to be held in by corrosion also. If the penetrating oil does not work my thought is to drill out the threaded rod. Any advise would be appreciated. 73605C10-DF8A-4111-811F-D3DECA8C5AD2.jpeg62BA8E03-808D-4D7E-839C-71CCA3A24533.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Normally you have a bolt with a hex head that fits into a hex shaped hole in one side and threaded portion sticks out the other with a handle with a welded nut on it. What does the other side look like (side away from threaded rod)?

Oct 4, 2010
What does the other side look like (side away from threaded rod)?
Threaded rod goes all the way through. One side had a nut that fit into a hexagon hole in the locking disc. The other end of the threaded rod had a handle that threaded on to the rod squeezing the locking discs against the rudder.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
@Richie50: If this is the factory kick-up rudder, I might have some spare parts for you. My original casting was degrading at the pinions, so I ended up replacing the whole thing with a Ruddercraft model. But I still have the old one laying around, including the tensioning bar, etc. PM me if there's something you need.

Oct 4, 2010
@Richie50: If this is the factory kick-up rudder, I might have some spare parts for you. My original casting was degrading at the pinions, so I ended up replacing the whole thing with a Ruddercraft model. But I still have the old one laying around, including the tensioning bar, etc. PM me if there's something you need.
Thanks. I good for now. Just need to know what force I can apply to the thread rod I have. And what I could damage along the way.

Sep 14, 2014
I had to remove my rod, just dribbled some diet coke around each side at the aluminum discs, let soak for an hour or so, repeated coke and then smacked one end with rubber mallet and it came right out. If the coke does not fizz around the bolt at the aluminum , put a ring of rope caulk around it like a little dam and fill it with any carbonated drink, let sit and turn over and do same on other side. Patience is the key here.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
I had to remove my rod, just dribbled some diet coke around each side at the aluminum discs, let soak for an hour or so, repeated coke and then smacked one end with rubber mallet and it came right out. If the coke does not fizz around the bolt at the aluminum , put a ring of rope caulk around it like a little dam and fill it with any carbonated drink, let sit and turn over and do same on other side. Patience is the key here.
pool acid used very judiciously = same result!

Sep 14, 2014
Yep but you cant drink it. And carbonic acid is a weak acid, controlable whilst muriatic acid ( Hydrochloric) is much stronger and very agressive, spill some on your skin you will see, but do not try to lick it off!