Rudder Damage. I appreciate help to repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2010
MacGregor 26 Brownsville
Rudder accident.
Today I had a common accident in the ramp.(beginner sailor)
Forget lifting ruders(some yards) . Please see the pictures.
Tell me the best repair.
I appreciate your opinion and recommendations.
;):D
Rudder Damage. The Beach Boy.JPG

Rudder Damage. The Beach Boy..JPG

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Hola! Fill it proud with 2 part epoxy, fair it when dry, and paint?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Epoxy putty. A very stable compound adhesive, mixed in equal amounts. Google it. Maybe find a "marine" grade? Any good hardware store will have a variation of it.

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S Lucama, NC
Repairs

Repair with fiberglass, sand, and paint. I used Rustoleum spray on my centerboard and rudder 4 years ago after fiberglass repairs on both. It is still holding up just fine, except where thin water has sanded the paint off the bottom edges! -Paul

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
You should get that sealed up before you get it in the water again, so it does not soak up water and make more damage to repair.

I thought of the possibility of leaks when I read the original post and looked at the pictures. However from the pictures it does not look as though there is deep damage, and at least on the older models the ends of the rudder have quite thick fiberglass.

Before you randomly start the repair I would also recommend that you check for deep cracks that may allow water to penetrate the core of the rudder.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
The photos look as if you just busted up the gel coat and a little of the laminate, but didn't crack the rudder so that water would penetrate inside. If water will penetrate to the interior (you will have to take a closer look), then you need to fiberglass up the damaged area with fiberglass cloth and resin. To do this, you need to grind out the area on both sides of the rudder, clean with acetone and then apply fiberglass resin, layer on cloth, wet down removing all the bubbles and keep applying cloth material for strength. The resin (polyester) needs to be cured with MEKP which will come with the resin. After it is cured, you sand it smooth (80 grit)and apply a polyester white putty (also cured with mekp, but it might be a solid toothpaste like consistency rather than clear water like consistency). When that is cured, you can sand it smooth again, this time getting the same shape as the rudder. When done, you apply gelcoat (white). Get gelcoat with wax. You also put in MEKP and thin it with acetone or Styrene Monomer. Spray it on with a Preval Sprayer (found in automotive stores or good sailboat shops/stores). When cured, sand it with wet/dry 320 grit sandpaper, then 400, then 600. When done sanding, buff out with a fiberglass rubbing compound for a shine. If your repair does not require fiberglass cloth, then just fill the voids with the fiberglass polyester putty and apply the gelcoat as mentioned above. If you want, you can use Marine Tex white, but that is an epoxy product and not a polyester product, so there is a compatibility problem with gelcoat. I do not recommend painting it. Gelcoat is what the manufacturer used and so stick with that. I do not recommend Rustoleum for fiberglass repair. I do not recommend paint for fiberglass repair unless you are painting the whole boat and then you wouldn't use Rustoleum. Use that for your wrought iron home products. LOL

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Hola Hermano, Yo Segundo Blind Navigator. Marinetex Blanco. Feliz Navidad Y Prospero Anno Nueve. Pardon my poor espanol. Fair winds and Full Sails..

Dec 8, 2007
-mac 26M -26M tucson-san carlos mx
don't even waste the time to repair them,most all mac rudders look like that,it won't hurt any thing.once you wear it through to the hollow core then maybe consider a repair.

Dec 8, 2007
-mac 26M -26M tucson-san carlos mx
also you might mod your system so your rudders automatically kick up by themselves when you strike something,it prevents bending your brackets up and other stresses on the steering system

Status
Not open for further replies.