Rudder bearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Hollingsworth

Recently I had a problem with my sterring being very difficult to turn the wheel due to resistance. This, I assumed to be a bearing issue because it came on gradually over last summers season. Over the winter I replaced the top rudder bearing (not cheap from Bavaria)only to find that the problem was corrosion that was behind the rudder bearing housing, causing the bearing to compress around the bearing tightly. The corrosion was removed and now the wheel can be turned with one finger. The reason I'm letting everyone know, is due to the fact know one I had talked to at Bavaria dealerships or communication with Bavaria eluded to this potential common problem. Save your money on a German bearing and clean your rudder bearing housing every other couple of haul outs. One rudder nut removal and loosening the quadrant allows the rudder to drop and be removed (obviously not a job while in the water)The problem is usually with the bearing underwater only. Mike

GP

Oct 8, 2006
- - Aus
Mike, Would you have any pics of the corrosion and the exact position of the bearing problem??? Graham.

J

Jack

Rudder Bearing

Mike, It appears I have the same problem with my 2005 32... Can the boot be removed in the water? And can the bearing be cleaned (at least a little) while in the water? Do you think no cleaning it & using it with the hard steering will cause other damage? Thanks for any help...

Jul 17, 2007
Bavaria 40 Msida
Hi Mike, I just bought a 2001 bavaria 41. The rudder has suffered from this stiffening problem from befors purchase, however this has progresivly become worse. By your suggestion it seems that a replacement bearing is not necessary, is this correct? all i need is to hoist the boat and clean out the corrosion. If so, any way to keep the corrosion out in the first place? Etienne

Jul 17, 2007
Bavaria 40 Msida
Hi, the boot (just below the quadrant) can be removed (lowered for access to rudder stock and to pour lube into the boot to flood the bearing) while in the water, at least on the 2001 41, I have done just that. however you will be unable to do much more as the boat has to be lifted out of the water to clean the bearing properly as one has to remove the rudder completely. Etienne

Jul 17, 2006
Bavaria Ocean 38 Olympia, WA
In response to several questions reagrding the rudder bearing problem, you all are welcome to contact me @ 360-597-4881 for a more detailed discussion. As best as I can answer the two questions. First, I found that a replacement bearing is not necessary, as there was no wear on the teflon bushing. The problem was from corrosion build-up behind the bushing from the aluminum rudder shaft. The corrosion slowly building behind it compresses the bushing around the shaft making it more and more difficult to turn. The boat yard sprayed the shaft pocket with an anti-corrosion material, but I assuming it will only last several haul-outs before I will have to do it again. The bushing is so difficult to access while the boat is in the water that attempting to remove the bottom bushing will be next to immpossible. In addition to causing quite a sizeable hole in the bottom of the boat, the rubber seal around the shaft needs to be removed as well. In short... it must be hauled. I found no damage to the teflon bushing from using the rudder for almost half a summer while it was difficult to steer. Finally, the steering was so difficult I was forced to haul the boat. I am happy that I did not cause damage to my auto helm! Call me for more. And I am sorry that I did not take any pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.