Rub rail caulk

May 20, 2020
MacGregor 25 Denver
Just acquired my 25 and while sanding the hull found old caulk coming out from under the rub rail. Got some Sikaflex and backer rod to fill the gaps but then thought, what happens to water that leaks in at the top of the rail. Maybe it should not be caulked underneath. What are your thoughts or experiences?

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
I caulked the top and bottom of the rail when I first refit my V25. Water still got in and the easiest way to get out was through the bolts that hold the deck and hull together, The water followed the bolts to the inside of the boat :banghead:. It was especially bad when the boat was on the trailer and I had the bow up so the cockpit would drain. The water ran to the back and came in along the hull/deck joint along the transom and puddled on the floor there. I dug the caulk out on the bottom side in the rear corners to open up a water channel. It helped some. I actually found that keeping the bow down as far as I can when on the trailer stopped all water ingress along the rail. I get no water coming in along the rail when the boat is in the water. With all that said, it is a good idea to caulk the rail, if you sail a lot with the rail in the water :yikes:. I have read of many Mac sailors complaining that they get a lot of water ingress along the hull/deck joint when heeled over.

Seadoc

Aug 4, 2016
Macgregor 25 Virginia
Has anyone removed an aluminum rub rail channel from a Mac 25 in order to seal the hull-deck joint? If so how did the project go? A PO had attempted to apply sealant along the top and bottom edges but I don't think it was very effective and certainly not of good cosmetic quality. Thanks for your input.

Mar 9, 2009
Macgregor 26S New Port Richey, Fl
I used Dicor 501LSW-1 Self-Leveling Lap Sealant on the top edge of the rubber rub rail after taking out the old sealant there.