Rookie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 12, 2005
Oday 25 Escondido, CA
I am new to the O'Day scene, new to owning a boat period, and I have some questions about what some of the 'stuff' is on my '76, 25'. My first is about the fresh water storage onboard used for the sinks. I dont think the previous owner ever used the tank and the hoses look kinda funky(discolored). There is about a 10gal green tank under the cockpit (which I assume if for the water) that I havent filled yet for fear of flooding/Pandora's Box type scenario. There is also a manual pump located directly underneath the cockpit hatch that has the inlet hose disconnected and the discharge hose leading to the stern. What does it pump? I am also wondering how feasable it is to mount a reinforced motor bracket to support an 18hp outboard? I wouldnt trust my current bracket w/ anything above 9.9. Any other advice/tips/warnings would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, B 'n B

Jul 25, 2005
Oday 25 Monroe Lake Indiana
;)

BnB - I have been working on our 78-25 O'Day the max HP on this model is 15HP - and that would be a two stroke - I upgraded to a 9.9HP 4stroke - the problems I had was first understanding that I would need a much heavier duty bracket - and then dealing with the fact this bracket doesn't fit on the wedge - working out a retro fit bascically a steel plate with a piece of wood that fits the bracket and attach this to the wedge using the exising holes with new longer carriage bolts - and reinforced with 4"x4" 3/4" plywood pieces on the inside of the transom - much more I could discuss - this was a job - On to the plumbing - I have had the water tank out - cleaned out - there is a vapor hose that just attached up so it vents the tank - and then I have traced the tubing - goes to the head sink and the galley sink - I have the old pumps the previous owner never used - this repair is on my tomorrow - winter fix list along with the DC and AC wiring - One thing to watch - this will give you a chance to really check out the head sink - and the - bulkhead - I replaced the bulkhead because the chainplate leaked - under the sink was the worst damage - a lot of rotted out wood - Have fun - and take your time - and don't forget to have fun!

muised

Aug 17, 2005
- - Halifax, Nova Scotia
Too much motor

I would be very careful putting an 18hp on an O'Day 25. Mine originally had an inboard, and has been retrofitted with an 8hp 2 stroke outboard. I reinforced behind the mount but there is still some flex in the transom. I have successfully removed and cleaned the water tank, but the discolored hoses are a rip and replace as far as I'm concerned. Good luck.

K

King

Water tank

BnB, I also have a '76 O'day 25 and had the same problem with an ugly looking water tank. I took the tank out, cleaned it with some bleach water and flushed it several times before re-installing. If your boat is like mine, the tank is held in with some fiber glass straps. I carefully cut mine only where they connect to the bulkhead. With a little wiggling the tank will come out. I also replaced all the plastic tubing with new. Total job was about three hours and less than $10 in material. It's a bit tight down in the hole, but give it a try. I think I read in other O'day articles that the transom is only made for a 12 to 15 HP OB, so I'd be careful about what you hang on there.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 25 pittsburgh
Boat'n Bus

First off Welcome Second, it sure is easier typing real names. Third, I would rather respond to a real name. Answers..... Sail boats are displacement hulls. A displacement hull can only go so fast. The fastest your 25 or my 25 (I have owned two 25 O'Days and still own the second) will go, powered by a motor, is 6.1 knots. That is the 25 O'Days hull speed. This is all physics. We can discuss hull speed later. In most situations an 8 hp motor will power the 25 to hull speed. The 8 hp motor does work to do this. I think the ideal motor is a 9.9hp It will hit hull speed with some throttle to spare to fight the wind. I will not fight tide any better because it can only go 6.1 knots. (x1.15=7 miles per hour.) Remember that you only want to hang enough weight on the back of the boat to get the job done. The Water tank.... This Forum has a wonderful forum attached called "THE HEAD MISTRESS" The person that monitors that forum is an extremely experienced and knowledgable woman named Peggie Hall. You can look into archives in any of the forums attached to this site to find if your question is already been asked or your can post it as a new question if you can't find relative information. I have followed much of Peggie's advice on water tanks and been extremely happy with the results. I would tell you what I did but I think her info is complete. Good Sailing in the new boat r.w.landau

S

Steve Braverman

O'Day 25

I too am a new O'Day 25 owner. First off, let me agree with the others regarding engine size. I just installed a new Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust Four-Stroke on my 25. At quarter throttle the boat hits hull speed on calm water. An eight or even a six hp will also adequately power the boat, but the 9.9 give you a nice reserve for powering through currents or a heavy chop. I had to replace the bracket, which I discussed in another forum earlier in the season. Garelick makes the nicest brackets. Do not overload the bracket. If you go with a four-stroke, which I recommend and is probably all you can find in California, you will need a better bracket. The pump in your cockpit locker is a bilge pump. Run the inlet under the galley into the bilge and you're set. My boat does not have one, and I wish it did. I use a thirsty mate manual pump. Fresh water stuff gets nasty. I have to yank all of mine this winter too. The hose is cheap and easy to deal with, but you will have to flush the tank many times, and then you still won't want to drink it.

Sep 12, 2005
Oday 25 Escondido, CA
Who is this is?

Thank you R.W., Your technical knowledge is greatly appreciated. The only reason I have been thinking about the 18hp is because my old man has one sitting in his driveway! Waste not, want not. I suppose I just need to get my 8 running right. By the way, my name is Gerard. Happy sails.

Sep 12, 2005
Oday 25 Escondido, CA
Thanks for the tank tips

Thank you to everyone else who gave me advice on the water system too. Now I might be able to wash my hands without fear of falling over the lee side!

Status
Not open for further replies.