Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Rutland

What do these letters mean when placed infront of a vessel's name? Thanks, Bob

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Some of them!

USS -- U.S. Ship (naval vessel) SS -- Steamship (or) SS -- Submarine HMS -- His Majesty's Ship (UK) RMS not sure about this one!

B

Bob Rutland

Steve

I think the Titantic was a "RMS". Since it was British, could this mean Royal Majesty Ship? Bob P.S. Does this mean Giligan's SS Minnow was a steam ship?

J

Jim Legere

A couple more

RMS stands for Royal Mail Ship (usually a commercial liner licensed to carry the Royal Mail). Another favourite is TT - Turbine Tanker (as in steam turbine) or Tender To "vessel's name" in the case of your dink or tender.

H

Harvey Small

Lizzy 2 is still queen --

so until she hands over the reigns (sorry for the mixed metaphor and really bad pun) to Charlie Windsor, HMS on British naval vessels stands for "HER Majesty's Ship".

J

John New

HMS

Quite right. As a citizen of the UK, I can affirm that HMS currently stands for 'Her Majesty's Ship' for naval ships currently in commission or commissioned during the reign of Her Majesty Elizabeth II. However, ships struck off the registry before her ascension to the throne are, I believe, properly referred to as 'His Majesty's Ship' By the way, it is COMPLETELY incorrect to refer to a British man o'war as THE HMS Whatever, for obvious reasons (The Her Majesty's Ship??). They did this in a recent Bond movie (Tomorrow Never Dies) and it invariably makes me gnash my teeth in fury. And the QE2 is not named after the reigning queen. Rather, she is the second ship to be named after Queen Elizabeth. I have the the honor to remain

A

Al S

John, question...

Would the QE II more correctly be the second Ocean Liner to bear the name of her Royal Majesity Queen Elizabeth? This would not count earlier Queen Elizabeth's such as His Majesity Ship (HMS) Queen Elizabeth, a WWI battleship and named after the original Queen Elizabeth of the Armada fame? If for sake of discussion the Royal Navy comissioned a new HMS Queen Eliazbeth warship tomorrow, she (or is a man-o- War a "he" in the Royal Navy?) wouldn't be the QE III correct?

J

John C. Baumgartner

ETC(SS)

As a retired bubble head,(thats a submarine sailor)I say SS stands for submergeable ship

P

Paul Akers

They are...

RMS - Royal Mail Ship HMS - Her Majesty's Ship SS - Steam Ship USS - United States Ship

Status
Not open for further replies.