Righting a daysailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kathryn Plaite

Hi. I am wondering if anyone has hit on a goodway to easily right a DS1. I weigh 110 pounds, and I have a great deal of trepidation about my ability to right my boat if a capsize. Any suggestions? Kat

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

A couple of modifications and its easy!

Kat, I was concerned about my ability to right my daysailer, too (and I weigh quite a bit more than you do). Here's what I did: There are a several issues you need to contend with when trying to right your daysailer. 1. The boat tends to turtle when capsized. 2. The centerboard tends to retract while turtled. 3. After righting, the gunwales are awash so its impossible to bail the boat out. My answers were: 1. A mast float intended for a hobbie cat. It cost about $30 and attaches to the end of the mast. It provides enough flotation to keep the boat from turtline. 2. Rebuilding the centerboard lever mechanism and replacing the gaskets. Now there is enough friction to keep the board in position even if the boat goes upside down. 3. Transom scuppers. These are above the design waterline, cut into the transom with a hole saw. They are above the cockpit sole, so they will not drain the boat completely but they will drain it enough to float it high enough to allow you to sail home. If you would like details on any of these operations, let me know and I will be happy to provide them. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

K

Kathryn Plaite

Test Flip this weekend.

Justin, I think that may Daysailer is ready to take to the water. APS was able to provide me with a bob for the top of my mast. It should provide enought floatation to keep the boat from turtling. I also added transom scuppers as you suggested. I put them high enough on the transom to avoid too much water entering from aft, them added Andersen auto-bailers to the sole to evacuate the rest of the water. I am picking up my special order wetsuit this afternoon and will turn the boat over at the dock this weekend to see what happens. I will let you know what happens. Kat

J

Goodluck Kat

Kat, Good luck this weekend and let us know how it goes! Justin

K

Kathryn Plaite

Righting experience

Hi, The short version is, it can be done but its not fun. The longer version goes thusly: I went yesterday and rigged and launched the boat. Water temperature was in the high forties so I wore a 6mm wetsuit. Without sails or anything, I tied the bow to the dock so that it would stream of into the wind. Put the centerboard down, and had a friend with a Boston Whaler pull a halyard until the gunwale went under and the boat took on enough water to roll. So, the mast bob does work. The boat would not turtle, though I am concerned that the fitting at the top of the mast is not happy with the load. (Does anyone know where to replace it?) Laying on the centerboard allowed me to right the boat, but it was a lot of work. The real problem comes next. The scuppers are too high, I think, so that there is a lot of water sloshing around in the hull after righting. This seemed to make it extrememly unstable. Towing the boat with the whaler allow the bailer to empty the cockpit but I don't know if I could keep the boat righted long enough to do the trick under sail. Any ideas? Kat

J

A couple of thoughts

Kat, A couple of thoughts. First, are the scuppers set up so that water flows out during the righting process or only after the boat is righted? The former way would make life much easier. Second, pull the original equipment drain and replace it with larger garboard set up. It will flow more water and assist the auto bailer. You'll just need to close it when the water gets low to evacuate the rest of volume. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

P

Phil Campagna

I would love to know the same thing and I weigh 22

I would like to know the same thing on riting a day sailer

D

Dave

Water bags?

Kat, It's been SO long since I sailed a DS (but I currently have an O'Day 26 and a Hobie 18). I can't remember what the issue will be with water aboard your boat! One possibililty you might consider is a trick from Catamaran sailors: carry a couple of canvas water buckets aboard, with big hooks on the strap. In the event of a capsize with lightweight crew, you fill the buckets with (readily available!) water and hang them on the "high" side of the hull. Each 5 gallon bucket will weigh about 40 pounds. This plus your weight on the trapeeze wire should bring it up. The farther you can get your weight away from the hull, the greater your leverage. Be sure to release the mainsheet before starting this procedure. A float of any sort attached to the masthead (ugly but effective) will prevent turning turtle. If you want to be sure, experiment on a calm day with a friend around in case you need more weight. One last thought is that if you go over and have everything on hand as described above, you can improve the righting by swimming out to the masthead (with the float holding it up;-) and swim the masthead around to point into the wind. As soon as you get the head out of the water, the wind helps drain the water out of the mainsail and right the rig. Good luck! Dave

J

The real problem is bailing...

In my experience, there are two issues with turning your daysailer over. The first is its tendency to turn turtle immediately. The second is the fact that it floats when swamped, but with the low point on the gunwale underwater so that there is no effective way to bail the boat. The masthead float is ugly but effective. It should solve problem number one. Then actually righting is not that much of an issue. The bailing problem is the bigger one. While you are swamped you are further complicated by the issue of free surface effect trying to knock you back down. My daysailer has three inch holes in the back of it to allow it to drain very quickly. You are left with four inches of water to bail, but at least it can be done. I bet an Andresen auotbailer in the bottom of the hull would work wonders and make completing the process painless. YMMV Justin - O'day Owner's Web

J

John Galbraith

Righting The Daysailor

Kathryn------I flipped my O'Day over last summer on Barnaget Bay. It was a pain in the neck,but here's how I righted it. Point the bow into the wind,make sure the sails are not under water,if they are, take them down. Then get over to the centerboard and sit on it. Hopefully the boat will roll back up.

J

Works, but if you have a DS1 you're still awash!!

John, What year is your DS? If its a DS1 do you have a self-bail system set up? The issue I have had with my DS is that once you right it, the gunwales are awash so you can't bail it. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

M

mike

daysailor cont.

Hey you guys, where can I find specs on the daysailor? I am helping a friend refit a used boat and we need a few hardware items. lower spreader arm, and forestay attachment for the mast. Also we would like to email ds owners for more info on rigging and sailing these great boats!

J

DS class association

You might try Cape Cod Shipbuilders for parts. Also, the DS class association is at www.daysailer.org

B

Brian Perry

Installing self bailing ports

Please refer to the following article at: http://www.daysailer.org/fleet64/64dsbailers.html David Perry and I understood the problem of capsizing a DSI and demonstrated the safety feature of transom bailing ports to Class officials in 1976. The demonstration was compelling and they immediately changed the class rules. If you don't have them, get them installed right away.

J

Thanks, Brian

Your article on the class association site was the motivation behind my modifications to my own boat. Thanks for stopping by. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Status
Not open for further replies.