Rigging turning while raising the mast

Jan 10, 2011
Macgregor 25 675 Lake Lanier
I have a mast raising system that clips onto the two standup poles that support the rail. A rope leads to the bow and hooks on. the jib line is extra long and fits the pulley at the top of the mast raiser. I release the mast form the front and rear rails. Place the mast on the support and then I then pull up the sail. I set the rigging to make sure it will not get caught on anything and pull up the mast.

The only problem is when the rigging turns. Please look at photos. This happens to the rigging top and bottom.

Is there a trick to make sure the rigging does not turn?

Attachments

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
Does you mast base have a pivot pin that you insert before lifting? This should limit how much mast twist occurs until the shrouds tighten up.

Jan 10, 2011
The mast does not twist. It goes up straight and is supported from support to fully raised. The rigging is twisting.

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
The mast does not twist. It goes up straight and is supported from support to fully raised. The rigging is twisting.
The only suggestion I would have is to watch it as you hoist the mast and make sure it is not twisted just before it tightens up. I get a similar thing with my Hunter and just flip it prior to the final pull

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
make some covers out of pvc. drilling the holes keeps moisture from building up inside them.

P1050078.jpg

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I found if I laid the shrouds carefully over the lifelines on the cabin top with the adjusters pulled aft, taut and fair, they usually came up properly.

Jan 10, 2011
That's the way I raise the mast. However if the rigging twists I have to lower the mast untwist the rigging and raise the mast.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
The best way I've found to keep the shrouds from snagging on things as the mast goes up is to put a single hitch over them and the hand rail (I leave the bungie tied on the rail all the time, for this purpose). the single hitch will pull itself out as the mast goes up and the shrouds get tight. :)
IMG_0374.jpg

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
You just got to lay them out properly before you start hoisting and watch them during the process. Maybe adding some tape at the joint will help them stay aligned.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It is an issue a lot of trailersailers have. The only solution I am familiar with is to just be aware of it and take care to lay the stays out and don't force the mast up. It could bend or break the turnbuckles or the chain plates.

Russ's pvc solution looks interesting.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
I had this happen to me the first time I stepped the mast on my 26S. Had to bring it down to fix it. Ugh.

The next time I have the mast down I plan to wrap some rigging tape around the connections at the problem points (deck, spreaders, top of mast) to prevent that problem.

Jan 10, 2011
I tried rigging tape and it wouldn't hold. Using the PVC holds or hasp wire holders I've had the rudder on mast up and motor running in 17 minutes. Previously my fastest time was 38 minutes. I can raise the mast without looking at the rigging.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I can raise the mast without looking at the rigging.
This brings to mind point about safety inspection. It is important to know what's going on under that tape or PVC. Trapped water against steel hardware can lead to unhappiness.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Good info re the tape and good point re the inspection. Perhaps a section of clear tubing would do the trick?

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
I like Russ's idea.
As long as the eye can't swing down in the hole you should be good to go.
When I raise the mast I check the stays while it's almost up. then I can adjust if needed.
That twisting used to be a big problem on my old Siren 17. I gave it away so problem solved!
Marty