Rigging the spinaker on a C22?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David

I am new to sailing and looking for information on how to rig a spinnaker on my C22.

J

Jim Malcolm

How I did it

Dave Although I no longer have the boat, I can tell you how I rigged my 22. (1) The mast already had a pole mount on the mast. It rode on a track and was adjustable. If you are putting on a fixed mount, I can offer you this advice: On my new boat, I don't have that and after asking several equipment dealers, it looks like the pole mount normally goes about a foot above the gooseneck. (2) I added a spinnaker halyard by putting a block at the top of the mast. I put mine so that the halyard was outside the forestay. Added a cleat to tie it at the base of the mast. (Later changed this to run through a cam cleat when I led all lines aft.) (3) Added a pole lift by mounting a block under the steaming light. Once again I added a cleat to tie this line off at the base of the mast. (4) Added a foreguy to keep the pole from riding up, by installing a block forward of the hatch on the foredeck. I have seen other drawings that show these attached all the way to the bow pulpit. (5) Added two blocks, one on each side at the stern. These are used for the sheets and guys. (I only used two lines, one on each side, so one is the sheet, the other is the guy. On the opposite tack, they reverse roles. Also added to horn cleats to cleat these. (6) Got a pole from West or BoatUS. They can help with the length, but from what I remember, the length was the distance from the mast to the forestay measured at deck level. (7) To fly the spinnaker, I first set the pole up by attaching the pole lift to a ring that had a bridle to each end of the pole. Attached the mast end. Attached the foreguy to the other end. Put the sheet into that same end. Raised the pole to level. Attached the sheet to one clew (this went all around the boat outside of everything. The guy (other sheet) to the other clew and the halyard to the head of the spinnaker. Then begins the fun of hoisting the spinnaker, while trimming in the sheet and guy while trying to steer. I realized I either needed more than one crew or an octopus for a crew or an autopilot. We then dropped the genoa. We brute forced the lines up and only used winches to trim once the genny was down.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Ask a friend

If you're really new to sailing, ask an experienced friend to go with you to set everything up and teach you how to handle a spinnaker. They are very tricky and potentially dangerous for smaller boats as a previous article mentioned. Have fun & be careful! LaDonna

Status
Not open for further replies.