Rigging tension method

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
I am unable to purchase a tension gauge or import one at any reasonable cost for me here in SA. So in trawling the interwebs I came across this post which I copy and paste from another source.

Any comments from the guys who have tried to tune their boats rig and have reached a margin of success. Personally I have never seen or heard it done this way so for me it was an interesting read and something I am more than capable of doing with my own tape measure!

The question of rigging tightness has come up frequently in the past with a number of useful tips and links to further website advice.

You may also find useful some advice I copied from an answer given by PVB in 1999, which can no longer be reached by searching:

"Rigging is a bit of a black art, and I’ve never been terribly satisfied by the assurances that it’s impossible to over tension using hand tools. There are lots of books which will tell you how to tension rigging and, more importantly, set up the mast correctly. In the meantime, here’s a quick and easy answer.

"You ask whether there’s an optimum tension for stainless standing rigging, and whether there’s a method of testing which you can use to check that your rigging is about right. The answer to both is "Yes".

"Optimum tension is generally considered to be about 15% of the wire’s breaking strain for the cap shrouds; less for the lowers; and about 20% of breaking strain for the backstay on a masthead sloop. Fine, all you need now is a method of testing.

"You can buy rig tension gauges. They’re quite costly, and usually only fit a small range of wire sizes. And you may need to know the breaking strain of the wire first.

"There’s another method which costs nothing and is easy to do. It also works regardless of wire size, and you don’t need to know what the wire’s breaking strain is. It relies on the fact that a 2-metre length of wire stretches by 1mm when 5% of its breaking strain is applied (and 3mm for 15% and 4mm for 20%). It’s easier to explain with a diagram, but as we’re restricted to words, here goes...

"Assuming your mast is up and more or less in the right position, slacken off the shroud rigging screws (by equal amounts on port and starboard) and the backstay rigging screw. Take an ordinary DIY steel metric tape measure. Pull out just over 2 metres of tape. Fix the end of the tape measure to one of the cap shrouds, above head height, using sticky tape, so that the 2 metre mark on the tape measure is hanging a little way above the top of the rigging screw. Put a bit of string loosely around the tape measure and the shroud at the lower end, to hold the tape measure against the wire. Wrap a piece of masking tape around the shroud, in line with the 2 metre mark on the tape, and put a pen mark on the masking tape exactly at the 2 metre mark. Now, as you tension the rigging, you can see at a glance how much the 2 metre length of wire has stretched.

"Tighten the rigging screws (by equal amounts on port and starboard) until the pen mark on the masking tape shows a 3mm stretch (which equals 15% of the breaking strain of the wire). You only need to measure the stretch on one side of the boat, because the other side will be equally tensioned. Then tighten the lowers so they feel a bit looser than the cap shrouds, keeping an eye on the mast alignment. Then put the tape measure on the backstay and repeat the operation, using 4mm stretch to indicate 20% of the breaking strain.

"That’s your starting point. Watch the lee shrouds when you’re sailing. If they go slack, you need more tension. Purists may scoff (and probably will) but at least this method is something you can do yourself, easily and without incurring expense. My big worry is that it’s so simple it might be considered too close to the "Blue Peter" school of marine engineering!"

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Yeah, gauges aren't absolutely necessary at all, but they're nice to have. I'll be happy to mail you one from here if you want.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Yes, this is a legitimate method. Be mindful of the effect of the sun on your tape measure during use, as it will grow a bit as it heats up.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
All mast head rigged Catalinas have very, very good rigging guides in their MANUALS. They are all the same. If you can't find a C22 manual (and you should be able to do so easily on the internet), then try this from our C34 manuals, it is exactly the same!

Scroll down to the Mark I owners manual PDF.

I have owned a C22 (5), C25 (13) and my C34 (23) for over 40 years. I have never used a gauge.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Correct rigging tension will make a difference when things get rough. Too loose and you can break things. Too tight and you can break things. Besides that, overall sailing experience can be optimized with correct rigging tension. The days of loose leeward shrouds, and tuning by "feel" and sight should be well over by now, IMO.

I'm surprised you can't get a gauge in SA.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I’ve used this method a couple times. The easiest for me was to cut a dowel the exact size you need with the rig loose and one the size you need when tuned. Tape measures suck when trying to do this. I did it three times taking a hour or so each time. A Loos gauge is worth the cost if you can get one.