Rigging Question from a Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2007
Seidelmann S25 Greenville SC
Two Questions 1) There is a vinyl covered wire leading aft from the top of the mast that has a small pulley mounted at the end. It's length leaves it about 2 feet above the boom. What is it? 2) There is a small pulley spring mounted just forward of the mast on the deck. What is this for? Sorry for being dense. First time with this boat. Thank you in advance for your help!!!

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Topping lift?

DamifIknow! ;)

Apr 3, 2007
Seidelmann S25 Greenville SC
I think you are correct

I just don't know how it attaches or what to. Just mounted the boom today and ran out of daylight.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
sounds like a topping lift to me

The spring, deck mounted block in front of the mast may be a lead for your spinnaker pole down-haul.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
do you have a vang?

Do you have a rigid vang, or a boomkicker? What's holding up the boom presently? It probably had a short length of line (like 1/4inch x 15ft) tied or shackled to the end of the boom, then going up and through the block, back down to the boom, turned forward on the boom (through a small cheek block on the side of the boom) then forward 3-4 feet on the boom to a cleat.

Jul 10, 2006
- - Jax,Fla
Rigging

TomCat; I concurr that the vinyl coated wire from the top of your mast is infact your topping lift as described by other owners.As to the block in front of the mast....yes, it could be a part of the spinnaker pole down haul/ or spinnaker pole topping lift- lead aft???....also, look up, & if there is a block at the mast head.......could be spinnaker halyard???[run externaly] to this block and then aft.Hard to say for sure without viewing it directly, but spring stand up blocks usually indicate a halyard or turning block to something aft..There are hundreds of ways to do rigging and many custom set ups...so, exactly what you are looking at is hard to say.Perhaps ask a veteran sailboat owner on your dock who may be able to tell you what he see's.If other Seidelmann 25 owners have the same block than no doubt it a factory item...just not sure what without seeing it, and I am not a 25 owner, so can not offer any other advise. Cheers- Capt.Hawk Hawkins s/v ROGUEWAVE S-34

Status
Not open for further replies.