Rigging our new (used but NEVER sailed) MacGregor 26X and baffled!!

Sep 12, 2018
MacGregor 26X Ft. Lauderdale, FL and Travers
We are setting up our Macgregor for the first time ever. Found a "used" 26X that still had all rigging in original factory boxes, unopened. Boat date is 1997. "In" the mast is a very long, very flexible thin strip that we don't know what it is!! Is it part of some flexible roller furling set up. A box on board is labeled "flexible furling ". When we bought the boat this flexible piece was sticking out of the mast about 8-10 inches. I got on a ladder and started to pull it out and it just kept coming , so I stopped and pushed it back in. Any ideas or suggestions?? Looking forward to lively discussions and great ideas from other MacGregor owners. Best regards, Kevin and Judy

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
It is possible that it is the foil for a CDI flexible headsail furler. Someone may have been clever and stowed it in the mast so it wouldn't kink. Usually when you order one after the fact they are coiled for easy shipping

Sep 12, 2018
Hi Justin, thanks for the quick reply. Sounds possible but then it begs the question what is a CDI furler? Is that the brand of furler system that shipped with a new MacGregor? Is there any documentation on how to mount that?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
It is pretty standard on Macs. Allows you to Furl (roll up) your headsail rather than hanking it on. You probably will find the drum and other hardware packaged up. Google "CDI flexible furler" and their site should come up. You will have the FF2 model I think.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
If the foil is in the mast, then what has been removed/disconnected, the top cap or the hinge plate? Is one end of the mast an open hole?

Sep 12, 2018
Appreciate the comments, thanks. The item stored in the mast was indeed the CDI furler part. We have assembled all the furler parts (from the factory sealed box!) but are still trying to sort out the final correct assembly. We called CDI and they said they would be happy to talk us through the final configuration with cell photos used to help us communicate. Very helpful to say the least! Have set up the halyards etc but have not mounted the mast to the boat. We have taken it out on our beloved Torch Lake for some motor boating and swimming. Runs like a top, even better the second day after a good dose of SeaFoam to the gas. Turns out the boat was used for about one week of motoring only and then stored away until we bought her, for $8,500. Boat is basically brand new. New have been interested in and admiring of the practicality of the MacGregor for over 20 years. I still had on file an original brochure from the mid nineties . Ours is a 1997. Mast was never installed and sails are still in their factory packaging and tied closed! We have the 50 HP Mercury with under 40 hours on it. I see Blue Water Yachts in state of Washington as having parts available. Are those ads still accurate? Want to add cockpit cushions , some basic instrumentation and a few other goodies to spiff it up a bit. Thanks agin for the feedback. Kevin and Judy

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Yep, BWY is your go to place for Mac support and parts. Enjoy your new X. There a big following in the Mac forum.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... I still had on file an original brochure from the mid nineties ....
A friend bought an IP38 from a deceased friend's wife. The IP38 was to be my next boat, thought I, so saved the brochure from the boat show. I gave it to my friend who thank me wholeheartedly. Seems the boat in the brochure was HIS boat. When he bought a CQR 45 he gave me his 35 for my B323.

Sep 12, 2018
Nice deal Ron. The Mac forum is truly a gift, so much first hand knowledge. I have just started to plumb its depths

Sep 12, 2018
OK, got the furler straightened out, although not tried in real wind on the lake, and have another question. We have noticed what seems to be a small water leak that is wetting the rear berth. It seems to be coming from the steering pedestal, either through the cable hole or the base of the unit. Anybody experienced this? What's the best fix, caulk the base?, waterproof bag the pedestal? spray in some expanding foam in the cable hole in pedestal and in cabin? Thanks in advance for any suggestions! Kevin and Judy

Nov 7, 2018
Beneteau 34 Kingston, Lake Ontario
OK, got the furler straightened out, although not tried in real wind on the lake, and have another question. We have noticed what seems to be a small water leak that is wetting the rear berth. It seems to be coming from the steering pedestal, either through the cable hole or the base of the unit. Anybody experienced this? What's the best fix, caulk the base?, waterproof bag the pedestal? spray in some expanding foam in the cable hole in pedestal and in cabin? Thanks in advance for any suggestions! Kevin and Judy
I have a 2005 26M which I bought 3 years ago and had a small leaking problem at the pedestal. I don't know how similar the steering pedestal is between the 26X and the 26M, but my M has a stainless steel shaft with a flange that is bolted to the deck with four bolts (see photo). In my case the flange is well sealed to the deck. But the installer of the motor installed the controls on the side of the pedestal and then installed another tube from the bottom of the pedestal through the deck (having to drill a new hole in the deck) for the throttle linkage and electrical cables. The tube is plastic (likely a plumbing pipe) which is not rigid, and in addition, was not fixed or sealed to the deck which caused a little leaking. I couldn't reliably attach this additional tube to the deck, so I cleaned the deck and tube, and masked off an area about 1/4 inch around the tube and deck, then put a 1/4 inch bead of 3M marine sealant around the tube and deck. This had good adhesion to both surfaces and stopped the leaking.
As the tube is not rigid and it gets kicked and leant on when sailing it does flex and this caused the sealant to separate from the tube over time, but because the bead is well sealed to the deck I find that it doesn't leak as I have a large bead of sealant protruding above the deck.
Also, my throttle linkage entered the tube half way down so I sealed that point as well.
I wouldn't recommend using the expanding foam.

Sep 12, 2018
Thanks Brian, I am going to caulk the base of the steering pedastal and also see if I can find a waterproof/resistant bag to place over the pedastal when the mast is up. We are towing the boat from our home at Torch Lake (Alden) Michigan to Naples and Ft. Lauderdale Florida for the winter. We are really looking forward to sailing in both the Gulf and Atlantic. We swore we would never tow a boat to Florida again after some interesting experiences 15 years ago but here we go again!! Thanks for your input!