Reverse Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe McGinnis

Paradise, our '77 O'Day, 32' center cockpit is not "paradise" in reverse. Backing from dock, or attempting to backdown in the marina she is a fit. She pulls hard to starboard, and response to the helm is very low. Sailors of other models such as Tartann have experienced this and have found changing props have helped them. I am wondering if any O'Day sailors have experienced this behavior, and will accept all suggestions on how to correct this.

H

Harlan Fredericksen

Backing down

Before you spend a ton of money on a prop try a different technique. Give the boat a lot of throttle but only for a short time and then 'coast' in reverse with the boat in neutral. It's prop wash that causes it to pull to the side. Once you're in neutral there's no prop effect so it will probably track fine. Give it another short heavy burst to keep going, etc.

N

Ned Young

P Factor

All single engine boats have this problem. Some more than others due to the torque from rhe engine. I have found that if as you feel that just as you are losing control back off on the power and try again. This is why large single screw boats have bow thrusters.

J

John Glass

ODay in reverse

I have the ODay 37. She is impossible to reverse in a straight line until she has sufficient speed for the rudder to take effect. The prop kicks the stern hard to port. The only way that I can reverse out of my slip is to attach a spring line to the starboard center cleat and use it to swing the bow to port. It works every time. Before using this method I could sell tickets for the show I used to put on for the local boaters when trying to leave the slip. It works so well I also use it when having to reverse to port .

Status
Not open for further replies.