Restoration, 22' Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Sounds like you're getting a good self education. You done good with keel bolt replacement. After a while all through hull fittings dryout or shrink and need to be recaulked. I always have used boatlife. It's like trying to drain the swamp when you're up to you A.. in alligators.:cussing: Fair winds and full sails....

Mick

Jun 11, 2009
Macgregor 26x Oklahoma City
Smithy:
I am glad I am not the only fool to bring home old sailboats no one else wants.
I found a 79 Windrose with trailer behind a barn outside of Tulsa ,OK. been there for at l;east 7 years.
The paint was peeling off the overhead inside the cabin. Best thing about it was the trailer.
Anyhow I have it scraped out and will put the final coat of paint on the interior tomorrow. Then I 'll start on the deck. Here are a few pictures
http://marooney.smugmug.com/Other/Windrose-22-Project-boat/16585537_bgs6i#1249501548_HGkL8
Also had to fix some holes that were cut into the trunk. Only thing I can figure is he was looking for a way to replace the steel cable for the 900 lb swing keel.
I will also have to build a new rudder ( Part done) , and replace the wood trim.
When you look into paint , I found the Rust-oluem marine paint works real well . Ordered mine from home depot. They also have a anti fouling bottom paint.

Smithy

Dec 13, 2010
Macgregor 22 Alexandria, VA
Just 2 days earlier, I spent the day replacing the clutch on my BMW K100RT motorcycle. That took 100 parts out and in, to replace 1, and I think it was less trouble than the dang keel bolt in sweat equity. Self-education, indeed.

Mick, that sure looks like a tub of love, 'cause I can't think of any other reason to start with so bare a shell. Even mine was in better shape than that, I think. Maybe. If I keep telling myself that. At least I didn't have to redo ports and patch big holes and other serious harware issues - just a good cleaning, painting and remodel.

Thanks for all the support guys. In a couple weeks, we'll be out with the Scouts, and I can start posting pictures of it in use, instead of griping about fixing it. Of course, next year it'll need new rigging, maybe new sails, and better interior design touches... but functional is step one, and I'm just about there.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Smithy:
I am glad I am not the only fool to bring home old sailboats no one else wants.
I found a 79 Windrose with trailer behind a barn outside of Tulsa ,OK. been there for at l;east 7 years.
The paint was peeling off the overhead inside the cabin. Best thing about it was the trailer.
Anyhow I have it scraped out and will put the final coat of paint on the interior tomorrow. Then I 'll start on the deck. Here are a few pictures
http://marooney.smugmug.com/Other/Windrose-22-Project-boat/16585537_bgs6i#1249501548_HGkL8
Also had to fix some holes that were cut into the trunk. Only thing I can figure is he was looking for a way to replace the steel cable for the 900 lb swing keel.
I will also have to build a new rudder ( Part done) , and replace the wood trim.
When you look into paint , I found the Rust-oluem marine paint works real well . Ordered mine from home depot. They also have a anti fouling bottom paint.
Mick!

That is a really nice boat. And the trailer looks to be in good shape... a real plus when it comes to keeping thing on the cheap. The cockpit combings are a nice feature, it looks like you have algrip anti-skid on the top sides and the cockpit lockers are tremendously handy. I used to have a boat with those and I really miss them. She is going to make a great pocket cruiser.

Some things I have learned working on my 22' (and you might make different choices.

1) The galley took up too much room so I took it out. I wash dishes in a bucket and cook out in the cockpit with a camping stove.
2) When camping out, you need a specific place for every little thing. So build in a lot of small storage shelves, compartments and lockers. I find the nylon trunk organizers you can buy at AutoZone or Walmart are a good way to go. I have three of them hung (two port and one starboard) and fill them with all kinds of stuff. Cargo hammocks are a good choice also and I have one of those. Then get a lot of large tupperware of rubbermade containers and label them with things like, batteries, glow sticks, canned meat etc.

You are going to have a really great time.

r

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Hey Mick, Having been temporarily insane for over 40 years, I've seen boats in worse shape that have been brought back to life. Fiberglass don't rot. Everything else is fixable. I think Windrose was started by a couple of guys who worked for MacGregor. I see you're still smiling. Keep it up. Like a woman the rigging costs more than the hull. Send progress pictures. What ship were you on and when? Fair Winds and Full Sails...

Status
Not open for further replies.