Repower Catalina 38

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Greg

I've recently purchased a 1980 Cat 38 with the original, tired Anemic 4. I'm going to repower and a Yanmar 3 cylinder has been suggested. Does anyone have any experience with this engine and boat, or any other suggestions? Thanks.

J

John Foy

Yanmar 3GM30

Greg, I also have a 1980 model Catalina 38 (hull number 50). It was repowered with a Yanmar 3GM30 (27 hp) by a previous owner probably about 6-7 years ago. The engine had only 171 hours on it when I acquired the boat 2 1/2 years ago. The engine itself runs very well, but in my view the boat is slightly underpowered. However, given the amount of room available, I don't believe you could install anything much larger and still be able to get to it. The installation was poorly done and I have since changed the coupling, replaced the shaft and done some work to the motor mounts. I also had to revent the fuel tank and replace the existing fuel filter with a Racor filter. I also changed the prop from a Martec 2 bladed folding to a three bladed 16" Martec feathering. I had some problems with vibration but the new shaft and coupling have all but eliminated that problem. The boat cruises at about 6.2 knots at 2800 rpm which is what is recommended in the owners manual. In general I am quite happy with the current situation but it took a while to get there. Please let me know if you would like any further information on this or anything else with the boat. John Foy

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Top of the line

Yanmars are excellent engines with an outstanding track record. If you have to repower, this is an excellent choice. You might be able to fit a 4 cylinder from another company but you might be sacrificing a little quality for a little power. Good luck! LaDonna

Status
Not open for further replies.